nitek duo/trio for x64?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaveMD

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Are there any plans to release an x64 compiled version of the dive log software for the nitek duo/trio? I've been using solely x64 for a while now except for an old xp laptop that is getting ready to crap out and I need to keep logging dives :idk:

My Girlfriend was pretty upset to find out when she spent all that money for the docking station for her Duo last year that there was no update to make it compatible with Vista 64. So now she must use my daughters computer which I swapped Vista off for XP.

She would be very pleased as well to get that updated.

This has been an ongoing problem since the release of the Duo. I finally got a version of divelog to kind of work on a Windows 7 machine. I can download the dives but several "features" of the software do not work. The biggest frustration is the $150 clothes pin with no warning the software really doesn't work. The good news is I have an expensive device to help keep my potato chips fresh.

Hi guys,

We completely understand your frustration and have stopped selling all NiTek download devices to make a point to Seiko that we cannot sell a computer that is not downloadable. About 90% of folks who purchase a dive computer (in our experience) do not use the software, but the 10% that do are really pissed at this point. We know.

Our challenge is that after we spent a gajillion dollars on the original software development years ago, Seiko has refused to update for Vista or Windows 7 due to a licensing situation with Microsoft (another burr in our side as Microsoft loves to make money). We have asked for the protocols from Seiko so we can hire our own engineer to get this resolved and for the last year they have ignored us.

So we took the downloaders off our website and put up warnings that the NiTek Trio/Duo/Plus line does not work with Vista or Windows 7. Our only recourse is to squelch sales until Seiko gets it.

In the meantime, I saw a thread a while back on this forum with a potential fix...not perfect, but it may work for those of you who already have the downloader. Here it is:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dive-rite/251715-nitek-duo-docking-station-vista-32-bit.html

The workaround mentioned is for Vista 32bit, however others have reported it works with Windows 7:

Go to Vista Device Manager, look under Other devices.
2. Right click on USB-Serial Controller and Update Driver Software
3. Click on Browse My Computer for Driver Software
4. Instead of selecting the drivers folder in system32, click on Let me click on a list of devices on my computer
5. Leave the selection on Show all Devices and click Next
6. Uncheck "Show all compatible devices", there should now be 2 selections for PL-2303, one is PL-2303X OnlyUSB Driver, the other is PL-2303 OnlyUSB Driver (notice no X).
7. Select the one with no X, PL-2303 OnlyUSB Driver, Click on Next
8. Read and disregard Microsoft compatibility warning
9. It installs itself and seems to work just fine.

Sorry for the ongoing frustration.
Kathleen

What about us poor SOB's who paid for the download cable? My frustration has been not being able to get a refund. If it worked I would be stoked. The cable was an expensive way to find out the software doesn't work.

I agree there should be something Diverite can do for those of us who purchased the Duo/Trio and spent the 200 on the software to realize it's not compatible with most current operating systems. My G/F laptop runs Vista 64 and has nothing to do but log her dives on my daughter's Desktop which works but is just not very convenient, Maybe is there some kind incentive for those that did purchase this some sort of refund/credit towards another purchase if something can not be figured out.

if they would simply release the needed software code from the original one for xp I could compile one to work on vista/7 pretty easily and making it work on x64 is not that big of task either really.

Which honestly there is no excuse for seiko to not release it since the software is free to download everywhere as long as you bought the crisper chip protector

any ground made on this with seiko?

Hi BoneDoc,

No and we're moving on. We're debuting a new tech computer at DEMA (non-Seiko, btw!) and will quickly follow with a rec to tech version. We continue to support all TRIO and DUO users, but have made no headway with Seiko and we've had enough of their lack of customer service which reflects badly on us and other manufacturers who carry the product. I am sorry and I wish I had better news.

Perhaps diminishing sales in the future will spur Seiko to step up? Doubtful...but we will see.

Kathleen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom