Running and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Not sure if this is the right part of the forum, but here goes. I'm a keen runner (about 40km/25 miles a week), and I'm in shape for a half marathon at the beginning of October. The problem is that I'm about to spend just over 2 weeks in a resort in the Maldives (yeah, OK not much of a "problem" :D), and I'm anxious not to lose my current form in view of the October race. I'm planning to do 1-2 dives a day on nitrox in the 20-30m range. The resort has a gym and is big enough for reasonable training runs. I'm aware of the advice from PADI about vigorous exercise after diving, which seems to make sense in terms of the likelihood of microbubbles still in the bloodstream. Obviously, I don't want to do anything that would increase the risk of DCS.
However, my question is: would it be OK if I ran early in the morning and then dived in the afternoon (rested and rehydrated of course)? My rest heart rate is usually back to normal (about 47 bpm) within an hour of a serious run. Is vigorous exercise a few hours before a dive OK?

Cheers,
Matt

Before diving=OK

After diving= no good

Here is a link to the AddHelium resource library. In it you will find a bunch of articles on exercising and diving.

Add Helium Resource Library | Add Helium

The overall consensus is that exercising before is beneficial. Even exercising during deco is beneficial. There is only one article that had positive outcomes with exercising after diving, but overall that appears not to be recommended.

Hope this helps.

Claudia

Back
Top Bottom