Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wetsuits in washing machine???

Divemaster Candidate

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos

Wetsuits in washing machine???

is it safe to put neoprene items in the washing machine. i have a 5mm full wetsuit, 3mm shortie, 5mm gloves and a 5mm hood which could all do with a bit of a freshen up? any ideas?

is happy to be back in CA

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    I put all my neoprene in the washer on Gentle and cold water with a bit of laundry soap and had no issues. Was very happy with the turn out. I let them drip dry like I would after any other rinse after a dive.

I have a front loader but I suppose a top load could do the same thing, just dont spin and wash the stuff on the gentle cycle.

Registered

Missing Cozumel

Dives
    200 - 499
    I would be more concerned with your washing machine. A heavy load may just damage it.

I suggest to place 1/2 cup of detergent in a deep bucket and rinse and wash it by hand. Followed by a good rinsing and air dry. No sense in loading up your machine. This simple wash method should clean your neoprene without causing any damage to your machine or suit.

"From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to Earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free"
    Jacques Yves Cousteau

is happy to be back in CA

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by kuma1720 View Post
    I would be more concerned with your washing machine. A heavy load may just damage it.

I suggest to place 1/2 cup of detergent in a deep bucket and rinse and wash it by hand. Followed by a good rinsing and air dry. No sense in loading up your machine. This simple wash method should clean your neoprene without causing any damage to your machine or suit.
    I think that a load of denim would weight more than a bit of scuba gear (especially 3 and 5 mil gear). I washed my 7 mil in my machine and had no issues but as I said, I have a front loader.

RJP
    Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaddyman23 View Post
    is it safe to put neoprene items in the washing machine. i have a 5mm full wetsuit, 3mm shortie, 5mm gloves and a 5mm hood which could all do with a bit of a freshen up? any ideas?

I'd say no. Even on gentle cycle, a washer can do a job on neoprene.

A front-loader with no agitator might be better than a top-loader, but I'd still avoid the washing machine.

Proper rinsing and drying after use and the occasional "bucket of soapy water" wash is sufficient.
    Follow me @AquisMarketing for a marketing professional's perspective on the dive industry... or a dive professional's perspective on marketing:
    https://twitter.com/AquisMarketing

Scuba Instructor

I live... I burn with life...
    I love... I slay... and am
    content.- Conan

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    I fully agree with rjp, i suggest a good soak and rinse in "sink the stink" or whatever, should be fine, if you must use a washing machine, go to a laundry mat, thats what we do with firefighting gear...lol
    WASTIN' AWAY AGAIN....

Registered

has no class.

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    +1 on the "better to do it by hand".
    Rhone Man
    British Virgin Islands

Sterling Divers - saluting the pioneers of modern technical diving.

British Virgin Islands diving guide on WikiTravel - written mostly by me.

[Life] ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.” — Sylvester Stallone - Rocky Balboa (2006)

Jameson is SIX!

d a aquamaster gave me the
    hood...

Dives
    200 - 499
    i've used a front loader on my neoprene after every dive trip, and it's fine. i wouldn't use a top-loader's agitator, though.
    ...and the days go by, water flowing under ground, into the blue again, into the silent water, under the rocks and stones, there is water underground... - talking heads

RJP
    Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhone Man View Post
    +1 on the "better to do it by hand".

C'mon, someone had to go there!
    Follow me @AquisMarketing for a marketing professional's perspective on the dive industry... or a dive professional's perspective on marketing:
    https://twitter.com/AquisMarketing

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    On the way back from our dives I just pull in to a self serve car wash and have someone spray me down with soap and then rinse. Jump in the back of the truck and air dry on the way home and it's ready take off and hang up.

Just kidding don't try that, I'm sure those pressure sprayer would hurt if they miss the suit and your not getting inside clean (which is usually where the smell is coming from if your experiencing it).

I would suggest doing whatever floats your boat. Seems some have had success with machine wash and some advise against it. There is an amount of risk you take with washing anything in a washing machine. We have all had things screw up in the wash. Adding odd items that wasn't really considered in the design of the machine (like a wet suit) can increase the risk.

As for me... I wash my wet suit (and the rest of my gear) in the bath tub using lukewarm water and baby shampoo. Baby shampoo does a really good job for me and I mainly use it because it will not harm the environment or my equipment if for some reason I don't get all the suds out. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some stiff crazy tree hug'n activist. When I dive, I'm not coming to save all the fish on reef, but I will not be coming to harm them or bring anything into their environment that may do so. Where ever I dive, I do my best to leave only bubbles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast