Drysuit Seal Cutting Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveR1952

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I can't seem to find any information about the relationship between latex next and wrist seal rings and neck or wrist size. I realize seals stretch over time but mine are way too tight and I need to cut them before I actually use the suit.

I have a Whites Fusion suit.

Thanks

I can't seem to find any information about the relationship between latex next and wrist seal rings and neck or wrist size. I realize seals stretch over time but mine are way too tight and I need to cut them before I actually use the suit.

I have a Whites Fusion suit.

Thanks

I only trimmed mine once. It looked like a rat had gnawed it. Now I let the service tech do it.

If you bought your drysuit from a LDS, they should be happy to trim it for you for free, and if they sell a lot of drysuits will probably do a neater job than you could.

The actual procedure involves putting something through the seal (a bottle or similar) then cutting off rings one at a time with a razor blade until it's not too tight.

AFAIK, there's no chart that says "If you have this size neck, cut this many rings" the rings just come off until the seal fits.

Terry

Take Steve's advice and only cut one ring at a time. Don't make it too loose, it only takes a tad too much before you have to replace the whole cuff or neck dam. If you can wear it for 10 mins without discomfort, you're there.

Stretch the seal over a scuba tank and some beer bottles over night before trimming it.
This helps relax the latex and it should hold that size from then on.

Stretch the seal over a scuba tank and some beer bottles over night before trimming it.
This helps relax the latex and it should hold that size from then on.

I have read some posts that say neoprene seals will stretch but not latex.

Which is correct or do both of them stretch?

Latex seals will not stretch like Neoprene do.

That said, NEW seals are like new jeans in a way. Stretching them will tear micro fibers in the latex a little and "relax" them. After stretching they should not stretch or shrink much through there life span.

When replacing seals on suits I will stretch them over night before putting them on a suit.

Latex seals will not stretch like Neoprene do.

I think that might be backwards.

My Mobby's suit had neoprene seals and they didn't stretch a millimeter in all the time I had the suit, however my Northern Diver has latex seals and they definitely stretched (needed to be replace after a couple of years).

Terry

I have not had any seals become loose from using them. Only time I had to replace seals is after they dry rotted and split.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom