SiTech (Latex or Silicone) vs. Neoprene wrist seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mj3dvfx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Wanted to pose a question regarding wrist seals.

Is it better to get something like a siTech Antares system with latex or silicone seals or skip the ring system altogether and go with neoprene wrist seals?

I don't really see drysuit divers using the neoprene seals unless it's with a neoprene suit. Just curious as to why.

Alot of folks still use neoprene seals on trilam suits. I find that those of us using si tech systems merely want to be "able" to fix a busted seal on the fly.

Alot of folks still use neoprene seals on trilam suits. I find that those of us using si tech systems merely want to be "able" to fix a busted seal on the fly.

I thought that was what duct tape was for. ;-)

P.S. I have DUI zip seals and I LOVE being able to zip on a new seal when the old one fails.

I know quite a few people who use neoprene neck seals. Neoprene wrist seals almost rule out the use of dry gloves. The only manufacturer I know who made dry gloves for neoprene seals was Diving Concepts, and they are out of business. Many dry suit divers want to use dry gloves, and latex seals permit the use of seal-mounted rings, so that you don't lose the inner seal, and you can take the rings off if diving in water warm enough that you don't want to use the gloves.

That was important to me; I wanted to retain the wrist seal when using dry gloves.
Latex and Viking rings for me.

I suppose that's the crux of it. Being that all of my dives have been here in southern california so far (non-technical i.e less than 130 ft.) I haven't found it necessary to wear anything above a 5mm glove. Would it still be worth while to go with a latex / silicone ring system just in case or just skip it altogether
and just go with straight neoprene?

My though process is that since latex and silicone can tear on any given notice then having the ability to change them on the fly is absolutely necessary. That's when you pretty much need a ring system of some sort. i.e SiTech or DUI's Zip Seals. Neoprene however, doesn't tear or breakdown nearly as easily so if dry gloves aren't a concern then neoprene would be the way to go since you wouldn't have to worry about changing them out due to a tear.

I thought that was what duct tape was for. ;-)

P.S. I have DUI zip seals and I LOVE being able to zip on a new seal when the old one fails.

Well you have a DUI.....so you basically plan to have leaks anyway:) LMAO

---------- Post added November 13th, 2013 at 06:03 PM ----------

I suppose that's the crux of it. Being that all of my dives have been here in southern california so far (non-technical i.e less than 130 ft.) I haven't found it necessary to wear anything above a 5mm glove. Would it still be worth while to go with a latex / silicone ring system just in case or just skip it altogether
and just go with straight neoprene?

My though process is that since latex and silicone can tear on any given notice then having the ability to change them on the fly is absolutely necessary. That's when you pretty much need a ring system of some sort. i.e SiTech or DUI's Zip Seals. Neoprene however, doesn't tear or breakdown nearly as easily so if dry gloves aren't a concern then neoprene would be the way to go since you wouldn't have to worry about changing them out due to a tear.

As long as you are willing to deal with using wet gloves if you choose to dive colder water, go for it.

OOOOHHHH! Hahaha.

Well you have a DUI.....so you basically plan to have leaks anyway:) LMAO

---------- Post added November 13th, 2013 at 06:03 PM ----------

As long as you are willing to deal with using wet gloves if you choose to dive colder water, go for it.

I have the SITech ring wrist and neck systems in my DUI, and I've tried both silicone and latex seals. The silicone tore WAY too easily for my liking. If I made it 5 dives without a seal tear while donning or removing my drysuit I was doing well.

I'd suggest sticking with latex.

-Adrian

I have the SITech ring wrist and neck systems in my DUI, and I've tried both silicone and latex seals. The silicone tore WAY too easily for my liking. If I made it 5 dives without a seal tear while donning or removing my drysuit I was doing well.

I'd suggest sticking with latex.

-Adrian

Silicone is more comfortable to me, and using talc i rarely have a seal tear. That being said, the same holds true for latex although latex seems to have a shorter life without proper care.....of course that is just my experiance....others probably see it completely differently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom