OMS Slipstreams Fins with Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deco_martini

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been looking at replacing some heavy fins of mine with Slipstreams.

The problems:
Lack of a sizing chart
Lack of spring strap sizing (I like rubber pieces on their straps)
Lack of any kinda of useful information from the manufacturer (like if the inserts that come with them fully downsize them one size, so you could buy and XXL for drysuit and use the inserts to wear warm waters booties).

I've even emailed OMS questions about these. My local dive shop who is an authorized OMS seller doesn't actually carry inventory for me to try out. From reading past posts on this forum, it seems like sizing is done by reading the internet and trying to find people with similar shoe size and boots and buying what they bought.

Most of the reviews I see of these fins are positive, but it seems like OMS could do a better job at providing basic information about them.

If anyone has any sizing info on the spring straps or knows for sure if the inserts downsize the fins by a full size, I would gladly appreciate that information.

I don't know if this will be of much help...but here goes.

I wear a size 10 or 10.5 shoe. Bought XL Slipstreams and the "large" OMS spring straps. Fit is perfect on both my wet suits and maybe just a bit snug (but not where I would change anything) and on my dry suit.

Wet suit boots are 7mm Henderson hard-soled gold core boots (don't remember size but whatever accommodates my shoe size).

Dry Suit is a Bare Tri-lam XD Tech with soft boots, and over those I put on a pair of size 13 Mares low cut 3mm hardsole wetsuit boots to give the softboots protection. Again, fits extremely well.

I have/had both XL scubapro jets and XL OMS slipstreams. The foot pockets were about the same size; the OMS pocket was marginally larger. So look for sizing advice for XL jets (thre's plenty of it), and go with that. For XXL, look for sizing advice for older turtle fins (before they introduced multiple sizes).

I have size 11 feet which fit the XL fins pretty well in wetboots. In a drysuit it's tighter. I can still make it with size 12 Chuck Taylors on top of my drysuit sock booties, but I shaved the sides of those chucks, and cut part of the front off for a better, more comfortable fit. I do not have room for very thick socks, or that could compromise the comfort. For XL jets, size 11 feet are borderline.

As for springs, that's a hard call because it will depend on your boots and preference - I would prefer different size springs for wet- and drysuit diving; and I'm planning to install SS extension links on my springs for that purpose. If possible, buy the fins first, and order the springs later. If you can try the fins on with the boots (and socks) you intend to wear, set the rubber straps so that you can pull them on and off, and dive comfortably, then measure their length (from pin to pin?) and go from there for spring length. (Include pins if those are included in OMS spring strap measurements).

The OMS XLs are pretty much identical to SP Jet XL's. The XXL's are between the SP XL and XXL (or what the XXL should be, IMO). I took some pics of the XL's next the XXL's with a tape measurement for a thread on TDS. If you PM me w/ your email addy I will send them to you. As for the spring straps, save yourself som cash and go w/ the spring-straps.com version. I have the larger size on both my XL's (wet) and XXL's (dry). I wear a size 12 and they fit me just fine with plenty to go bigger or smaller.

I have/had both XL scubapro jets and XL OMS slipstreams. The foot pockets were about the same size; the OMS pocket was marginally larger.

Exactly what I find to be the case. I got the OMS slipstreams for my drysuit (another thread) and sorta kinda miss the weight of the SP Jetfins but like the Slipstream's increased stiffness. I'll call it a draw and be happy.

To the point:
I'm interested in info on sizing the OMS springs as this is what I am ready to do. Any others with OMS springheel sizing experience, please post.

I was never a Jet user in the first place. Of course, slipstreams' seem to be modernized Jets and maybe converts versus a broad market is what they want.

On the springs, I really prefer the large rubber covers the slipstream springs have versus third party springs. They look like they would grip the backs of your feet well and never dig in.

Exactly what I find to be the case. I got the OMS slipstreams for my drysuit (another thread) and sorta kinda miss the weight of the SP Jetfins but like the Slipstream's increased stiffness. I'll call it a draw and be happy.

To the point:
I'm interested in info on sizing the OMS springs as this is what I am ready to do. Any others with OMS springheel sizing experience, please post.
I wear 9.5 or 10 shoes (US) and used to have a pair of XL Jets that worked OK depending on what wetboots I was using. I found they were too negative for 3/2mm wetsuit diving.

I have a pair of XL Slipstreams w/ Large Slipstream Spring Straps in transit. (I hoped they'd be here tonight). I'll post back how they work out.

I have XXL and they fit my 15/ 16 feet in size 17 Chucks just fine, they manage while wearing wetsuit booties also. I was just talking with OMS at the dive show this weekend and they said they will have some more sizes out by DEMA in OCT. They also want pictures of my flames and skull painted on the slips...kinda funny I thought

Thanks all for the input and deco martini for starting this thread. Maybe the maunfacturers will start supplying better fin-sizing info some day. Returning or mailing gear back for replacement is a nuisance, especially fins. One rough exit or wreck dive and they are yours.

I have a pair of XL Slipstreams w/ Large Slipstream Spring Straps in transit. (I hoped they'd be here tonight). I'll post back how they work out.

-Please do, most interested to hear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom