Contacts or prescription mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was regularly wearing contacts, I just wore them with the regular mask. Once I quit wearing the contacts regularly I got a prescription mask (and always bring a back up mask since I can't see at all without it!). Both work well.

I have never had contacts, and never will. I do not trust contacts to stay in place in the event of a flooded mask and such other eye contact with ambient water. I use a mask with the appropriate RX and carry a backup in a pocket.

I have been diving with contacts for years with no problems. I have never lost a contact while diving although I have lost a few while lap swimming.

Jackie

When i got my mask done they asked me if i wanted one or both sides done. They said many just get one done (for gage reading). So i tried it and used a contact on one eye and tHE mask for the other eye. when i took my mask off i could still had one good eye. I actually have a pair of glasses with a script in only the right eye. mask off then glasses on. Full mask is nice but depending on how much power you need, could leave you in a blur when you take the mask off. if you can short term function with out glasses then you can use the mask both eyes. if not then either half and half or full contacts. with full contacts you dont have to worry about loosing your scripted mask. its a double edged sword.

Contacts. Right eye for distance and left eye for reading (gauges).

Reactions: D_B
Prescription mask for me. I often dive quite remote where 24hr electricity is not a guaranteed so no hassle anymore with trying to find light to pop them in before a dive. I have also lost one in a rough shore entry ..another reason not to shore dive :D.

I also carry a plain mask and contacts as a backup.

I have been diving with contacts for years with no problems. I have never lost a contact while diving although I have lost a few while lap swimming.

Jackie

I routinely remove my mask (it's kinda new) to rub the inside to reduce fogging. While doing so I squint so I can still see where I am in the water and what I'm doing. This does not bother my eyes. Would this be a problem with contacts?

(BTW, I've tried all the rubs and strubs to clean the mask to reduce fogging. I've taken to just leaving a small amount of water in the mask to act as a wash to reduce the number of times I remove it and then waste air to clear. Topic for another thread.)

I wear glasses , dont much like contacts because they are finicky but have done it many times .. my eyes are pretty bad so I do the thing with a stronger one in one eye, weaker in the other (this is called Mono Vision) some/many people can do this , the brain automatically switches to the eye needed to see .. my glasses are -6 ... used -5 in one and -3 in the other , worked very well, and can use them that way to drive to the site
that said, I hate contacts , and got a hydrovision mask and was astonished how clear everything is, and the viewing angles but I am now thinking I will end up with a prescription mask because of the drawbacks .. large volume, and an important one .. you cant see out of the water with one because there is no vision correction without it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom