West Palm Beach Trip May 12th through May 17th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

denisegg

Indescribable!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All!!

It is time for another trip to West Palm Beach! My son is graduating from Auburn May 6th and we will be heading down for some well needed R&R. I have met and dived with many of you from the area and look forward to doing so again. I would like someone from the area to go with us to the BHB one day. I have been there once and was fascinated. I'd also like to do a couple of boat dives, maybe a drift, maybe a wreck. Andy's g/f will be along who is newly OW certified so we need to keep it simple, although she did an awesome job in class. We are also interested in Key Largo's Christ of the Deep. I know that will be a bit of a drive one day but will be well worth it.
Any trips, suggestions and dive buddies would be appreciated. :)

Denise, you may want to check the tide tables to plan your dives at Blue Heron Bridge. Those dates it looks like
early on would be early afternoon then getting later each day. Here is a fishing website that works well for tides.
If you use another tide table makes sure the location is " port of palm beach ".

Tides in Port Of West Palm Beach, Florida - daily tides table & graph

My brother and I will be in the area May3-5 and I was hoping to do an afternoon dive Thursday the 3rd. Looks like high tide will be about 7 pm with sunset about 7:45 or so, which provides a reasonable dive frame for us (most likely only about an hour and a half for us as newbs) with a little wiggle room to get out of the park. Any of the trolls care to show us some of the better sights? I've dove the bridge once before and absolutely loved it. Diving Friday or Saturday morning would be good too.

I would think about more than just one BHB dive as the high tides will work out for you. The 18th is a twilight dive and the 19th is a night dive. You will need a permit for night dives (check with Pura Vida or Force E). Night dives are awesome there. Both East and West can be dove. There is so much stuff to see that one dive is just not enough (even if it is for 2 hours :) ).

Thanks everyone. I definitely want to also do some boat dives. Anyone have anything in particular planned during that time as far as boat diving?

Somehow I thought this thread was the BHB thread. I'm sorry, Denisegg, I didn't mean to try and hijack your thread!

Denise, I have a basic sketch of the east bridge that I have been thinking of putting in my photo gallery.
I want to review it for accuracy before I upload it. You can use google maps in the satellite setting to get
a pretty good idea of the layout. Divers dive both the west span (big bridge) and the east span (small bridge).
The smaller being a little easier to navigate in my opinion. There is a charter called Ocean Quest and they run
a boat named Sandys Sunday. This charter is in the Riviera Beach Marina which is right in the area.
I have not used them but they get some good referrals from the locals.

Somehow I thought this thread was the BHB thread. I'm sorry, Denisegg, I didn't mean to try and hijack your thread!
LOL, no that's fine. It is definitely on our list. :)

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2012 at 09:12 AM ----------

Denise, I have a basic sketch of the east bridge that I have been thinking of putting in my photo gallery.
I want to review it for accuracy before I upload it. You can use google maps in the satellite setting to get
a pretty good idea of the layout. Divers dive both the west span (big bridge) and the east span (small bridge).
The smaller being a little easier to navigate in my opinion. There is a charter called Ocean Quest and they run
a boat named Sandys Sunday. This charter is in the Riviera Beach Marina which is right in the area.
I have not used them but they get some good referrals from the locals.

Thank you for the info. :)

Don't know if you've found anyone for boat dives yet, but Pura Vida Divers is located on Singer Island right next to the Blue Heron Bridge. They have their own dive boat and a full service dive shop. They should be able to help you with both BHB diving and boat diving. Enjoy West Palm Beach!

Pura Vida and Sandys Sunday both on my list of charters I would like to try. Been on a bridge and shore
dive thing for a very long while now. Someone needs to set up a pura vida three tank trip on one of these
fridays !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom