Weekend diving trip from Singapore to Malaysia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tujos38

Reaction score
Hi,

Just joined Scubaboard, this is a great forum!!

I'm planning to do a quick weekend dive trip from Singapore to Malaysia next weekend (18th-20th June), probably to Tioman. A couple of questions:

1. There are many dive shops / trip organisers in Singapore, but would any one have any recommendations who to go with?
2. What other destinations should I consider other than Tioman?
3. Would like to buy mask and fins in Singapore, any suggestions where could I get a good deal on dive gear?

Your help is much appreciated as I'll be flying in from London and don't know the local stuff that well in Singapore!

Tuukka

I would go to Phuket. The day diving is pretty good (try Fantasea Divers--I haven't been in a while) and it can be managed pretty easily from Singapore. Shark point, anemone reef, and Ko Doc Mai are all decent dives (better than Tioman). Sometimes you can get all three in on the same day.

tujos38:
Hi,

Just joined Scubaboard, this is a great forum!!

I'm planning to do a quick weekend dive trip from Singapore to Malaysia next weekend (18th-20th June), probably to Tioman. A couple of questions:

1. There are many dive shops / trip organisers in Singapore, but would any one have any recommendations who to go with?
2. What other destinations should I consider other than Tioman?
3. Would like to buy mask and fins in Singapore, any suggestions where could I get a good deal on dive gear?

Your help is much appreciated as I'll be flying in from London and don't know the local stuff that well in Singapore!

Tuukka
1) depends how much and how much hassle. this link is for a LOB that operates out of singapore (reason later)
http://whitemanta.com/
also more tech based
http://www.penetrationdivers.com/pages/25/index.htm

Also try searching for Big Bubble Centre

The 'normal' trips leave friday night and involve one or more busses going accross causeway / customs then getting on bumboat accross to tioman or wherever and arriving middle of the night, basically very tiring. The singapore based LOB leaves from sing returns to sing and if you wanted to, you could go right to sleep when you got on friday night. I am also biased as i sometimes DM on the boat :10:

2) IMHO Pulau Aur / Dayang is better than Tioman

3) Two basic areas, Lucky Plaza (oposite Takashimaya) in Orchard road, this has three shops in the basement selling dive equipment at very compettive prices (much lower than UK, take Uk price for Suunto computer and x0.6) Also the Concourse shopping centre this is about 5-10 mins taxi from orchard road and contains three shops including Oceanic and Scubapro distributors.

Phuket is doable but it will cost you more and ITS NOT THE SEASON for diving phuket

Phuket is not really doable in a weekend. Realistically you would have to fly there, so only one day of diving. Also the better diving is actually out at the Similans, a long boat ride out of Phuket.

Agree with Albion regarding leaving from Singapore rahter than Malaysia.
Other places to dive 7 Skies wreck, Kuantan wreck, Anambas (needs a long weekend really) Udang Oil rigs (needs a very long weekend) and Maritime Fidelity wreck. All covered by the operators Albion gave.

Can also try Rawa or Sibu islands, but they are a bit too close to the mainland for good vis.

Hi,

I am going to be in Singapore at the end of November. I am looking for suggestions on possible weekend (can leave Thursday evening) dives. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Felix

I am less enthusiastic about Phuket than I was ten years ago, as the diving has gone downhill (as it has just about everywhere). I generally dive in Bali these days, which is doable on a three-day weekend, though I usually go for five or six days at a stretch.

For everyone on a tight schedule, I offer tailor made trips. Check my website https://www.scubadutch.com for ideas about the pricing.

Our focus is more on the islands at the East Coast of the Peninsular, but on request I can work out other trips, also outside of Malaysia. Check the dive sites sections to get some ideas.

Just to throw something else in - Cubadak Private Island off Sumatra. For under $400 return there is a direct flight from Changi to Padang (5 hours) an hour drive to chochoroc port where the ''owners' of the island will pick you up and wizz you across to a private island. Indian ocean diving with a fair bit of life and an absolutely spectacular night dive. Marco runs a good small op with some rental gear (I had my own so cannot provide any info on quality of equipment but the dive area looked clean and well organised) and diving is done at your request as you may possibly be the only diver on the island. 8 bungalows, one overwater, 3 meals included in the overnight rates and IMO great value for money. Did not notice any evidence of dynamite fishing, reefs were in good condition although the water is plankton rich so viz is not super spectacular but on the upside you get some beautiful sponge gardens and soft corals. The waters around the island appear to be a shark nursery and there are definitely turtles breeding in good numbers.

Its a place to chill out if you want nightlife then Phuket or Bali but I really do think the diving quality in Thailand has deteriorated especially on the popular sites like the king cruiser/shark point/anenome and racha islands.

Tioman gets very crowded on weekends I believe.

You could also easily reach the best diving Malaysia has to offer in Sipidan and Malaysia on a weekend from Singapore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom