Way Too Much Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buadhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I returned to diving about six months ago after a five year hiatus. I delayed buying new gear to make sure that I still enjoyed the sport. I do. Now it's time to get some new stuff. So, I've spent quite some time reading a few of the numerous threads in the equipment forums. Bottom line? There's way too much information!

I live in Thailand and do nothing but warm water diving. I'm somewhat of a minimalist. I don't wear a wetsuit. I'm not an equipment fondler. I just want stuff that works, that is durable, and that can be repaired locally.

All I need to get at the moment is a regulator, first and second stage, and a BCD. I have a couple of antique but working and recently inspected computers. And, yes, I still have my 1990's era split fins and I like them very much. (No hazing please.)

After reading the voluminous advice here and perusing the web sites of a number of Thai based equipment suppliers, I've decided on the following:

SP MK 25 / G250V Regulator and First Stage
SP Geo BCD

If I'm making a horrible mistake on either of the above, please let me know.

(And, yes, I did consider a backplate and wings, but I just don't like back flotation. On the surface I swim on my back so it just makes sense to have a vest.)

It appears that the cost of this gear is huge in Thailand compared with US prices. (The regulator set is about US$540 in Thailand. I see it on Amazon for US $375. There is a risk in ordering from overseas because the Thai customs duties can be an ugly surprise. I'll probably wait until I visit the US. I'm not in a hurry.)

I think I wrote this post mostly as part of the decision making progress. But, as stated, if I'm making a horrible mistake, please let me know.

TIA

I see nothing wrong with your gear choices. Scubapro is a great company.

FWIW, most of my dives are shore dives which entail significant surface swims. I prefer to do these surface swims on my back and, honestly, rear-inflate BCDs work great for this application. I've had a BP/W for several years now. Kicking out on my back is kind of like reclining in a La-Z-Boy...while wearing fins...and kicking. Demo a BP/W rig in the water before you dismiss it.

Kicking out on my back is kind of like reclining in a La-Z-Boy...while wearing fins...and kicking. Demo a BP/W rig in the water before you dismiss it.

Good point. Thanks.

Nothing wrong with the MK-25 for sure but it is the top of the line and the extra cost gets you nothing. The idea of buy the best you can afford really has no meaning in dive gear, there is so little differnece in most of the regs. A mid range first stage (and for the most part a low end one) coupled with a good mid range second stage will give you the same performance at a lower cost.

BC is your choice, I happen to prefer back inflates but not BP/wings. If you travel a lot with your gear, weight and size of the BC need to be taken into consideration.

Nothing wrong with the MK-25 for sure but it is the top of the line and the extra cost gets you nothing.

I'm certainly willing to save money. Do you have an alternate recommendation? I based my choice mainly on stuff I've read here, but, nothing's final.

BC choice was partly based on the fact that all of my diving involves travel either by air or by lugging gear bags on public transport. Weight is a factor.

I'm certainly willing to save money. Do you have an alternate recommendation? I based my choice mainly on stuff I've read here, but, nothing's final.

BC choice was partly based on the fact that all of my diving involves travel either by air or by lugging gear bags on public transport. Weight is a factor.

BC- zeagle express tech. No question. Reg- more choices here. I'd pick a balanced diaphragm with an enviro kit. Just because. Coupled with and adjustable balanced second and an octo of at least the same quality. Since weight is an issue add a simple spg or even a mini console and you'd be set. As for brands- most any will do. I am biased toward edge since I am a dealer and like that they will sell service kits to anyone. You can them perform the service yourself or take it to any competent tech. But Sherwood, Oceanic, zeagle, aeris, tusa, and others make regs that will serve you well and at less cost than a scubapro. If you were here I could make you a killer deal on the set I recommended. But you could also likely find a good deal at any dealer if they want your business.

BC- zeagle express tech. [snip] If you were here I could make you a killer deal on the set I recommended.

Intriguing. Why not post the set you recommend here? And, if you're willing to ship to Thailand (US Postal Service International Priority Mail), then send me a PM with your quote and we'll work out the details.

I appreciate your advice.

I switched to a back inflate, Dive Rite Transpac last spring and I was somewhat scpetical about swimming on my back with it. There is no difference for me, I love it for shore diving especially, as it is designed like a backpack and really hugs your body. I switched because I hated how a jacket style BC shifted back and down when out of water, up around your ears floating at the suface and squeezed me when inflated.

Intriguing. Why not post the set you recommend here? And, if you're willing to ship to Thailand (US Postal Service International Priority Mail), then send me a PM with your quote and we'll work out the details.

I appreciate your advice.

Fair enough, I'm just trying to avoid shamelessly plugging my line over all others and give the appearance that it is your only choice. Simply because it isn't. I don't sell Zeagle but have the express tech and can't say enough good things about it based on two years of diving, traveling, and teaching with it.

The reg set I'd recommend is the Edge Epic set with sealed 1st and balanced seconds and an SPG, two gauge, or 3 gauge console. PM on the way with quote and I will ship world wide.

If you dive in warm water and you want to save some money you can go with SP MK11(balanced diaphragm) with R395 second and R295 octopus.
For the BC , if you are a jacket fan , consider something with trim weights pockets(pockets on the back of the BCD at the sides of the tanks for better balance) , at least 2 metal large D-rings and integrated weights and Scubapro is a quality manufacturer but expensive too , As an alternative cheaper option you can consider Cressi Aquaride (good for travel) , Cressi S300 , or travel light (but take care the buoyancy lift is a bit low ). Also you can go with Mares Prestige MRS.

I hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom