What are the travel scuba essentials

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sammyman

Registered
Reaction score
Do you need to have your favorite mask? Or a good regulator that you trust? What really do you need when you are going on a scuba trip with limited space (overseas etc)?

We take everything, except weights and tanks. We like knowing that the equipment we have is in good working order, know how it fits and feels and not having to rely on some rental stuff with an unkown service history.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

We always take all our gear (plus camera gear), excepting the usual tank and weights, whereever we dive.

Define "limited space." Normal air travel to most any dive destination, sometimes there's hiccups or challenges and it's been made a little more difficult over recent years, but it's perfectly doable. If I was backpacking or something that would be a different matter.

If I was on a trip where I was just sneaking in a few dives and knew there would be good rental gear available I might consider leaving some things home. I doubt my mask would be one of them though.

I'm with the other 2 responders. I take everything except weights and tanks. One thing I do before each trip, 5 this year, is have my regs serviced or just checked over. I know there are horror stories about bad servicing but I trust my LDS and have never had a problem. You probably don't have to do this but I solo mostly so it's piece of mind for me.
I always take a back up prescription mask as well and too much camera gear...

While I have not traveled to many plans (meaning flying) I do take pretty much all I got except weights and tanks. I agree with what has been said, I prefer my own everything to rental.

I might par it down to barest of what I know I'll need, for example not taking both wet suits or both masks etc.

Jeff

I "used" to say on a trip that there was nothing that a Visa card couldn't fix............so nope, "money lots of money" doesn't even work if there aren't any dive cameras to buy after someone steals yours, or a dive light that floods or mask that gets broke, thats why I now alway carry TWO dive housings and camera......

Sometimes even a wheelbarrow full of money can't buy it if something isn't even there to buy..........

Mask, snorkel (for those that use them), boots and gloves (if you are going to need them), and your dive computer. Just about everything else you can rent. I'm sure many divers who own their own regulator would never advocate renting a regulator if they didn't have to. I don't own a regulator (only because I've recently gotten back into diving and it's the last piece of equipment I need to purchase) so I have to rent one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom