new airline restrictions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lemurs2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So with the new airline restrictions in place does anyone think they'll let us bring our scuba gear as carrier on, it's not liquid. Has anyone had a prob with it?

no, i don't think any items other than liquids and gels are affected.

if in doubt, put it in checked luggage. that's still pretty much open for everything otherwise legal to bring on board a plane

All (non digital) compasses & many SPGs are liquid filled. This is going to be real pain.

The latest on security. When one buys a soda at the airport, they will no longer put a lid on it as that could induce people to try to take it on board an airplanne. (At least that's how it is in Denver.)

ItsBruce:
I'm afraid to ask, but are there any digital dive compasses?

I do remember looking at one integrated dive computer with compass function built in.
I don't remember the model.

PS Edit see also Suunto D6.
http://www.suunto.com/dyn/d6/

ItsBruce:
I'm afraid to ask, but are there any digital dive compasses?

The D9 by Suunto has a digital compass integrated in the computer. I know it was the first on the market and to my knowledge it is still the only one available.

It seemed to me recently that security at the airports has gotten very laxed. On a recent dive trip I had in my carry-on my canister light, 2 regs, and my dive computers. Put it through the x-ray machine and they didn't even ask me to open up my bag. To me I would think a canister light, particularly the battery would have to look VERY suspecious, unless of course the TSA workers at Cincinnati airport are all avid divers.

I think it is probably a good idea to avoid carrying on much dive gear while we are under Orange.

What makes anyone think that SCUBA gear looks like bomb making equipment? There shouldn't be any problems carrying on a regulator. They know what batteries are, and how they appear in the scanner... They see batteries every day. However, under the heightened alert, I would check any LARGE batteries in baggage to be safe.

As for liquid filled gauges... As long as you can't see the bubbles, I think you're probably fine... But you may want to err on the side of caution, and check those kinds of items.

On my most recent flight (10 days ago) my wife brought her regs with, and they looked at them, and that was that. They (TSA) know what they're looking for - check the TSA website before you travel, and check with your airport to see how long security waits are. In Denver yesterday, the wait time was down to 10 minutes or less most of the day. They've increased staff, and passengers were more prepared.

howarde:
What makes anyone think that SCUBA gear looks like bomb making equipment? There shouldn't be any problems carrying on a regulator. They know what batteries are, and how they appear in the scanner... They see batteries every day. However, under the heightened alert, I would check any LARGE batteries in baggage to be safe.

A regulator that is together sure, but I have carried a separate first stage in my carry-on, which I am pretty sure isn't something in the TSA manual.

FYI this is the battery I am refering to that I carry on with out suspecion
GFbattery.jpg

I think we need tougher airport security in general. Traveling in 2001 and 2002 security was intense. Screeners everywhere with rubber gloves hand chekcing random checked and carry on bags. I was probably getting pulled asside on just about every other trip I took. And often getting picked for the nitrate wipe tests.
This got less and less.
I have yet to get the note from TSA in my checked luggage this year saying it was searched, and haven't even witnessed other travelers being searched in quite a while.

If we could just find a happy medium, and do the random checks that are supposed to be happening, we won't have this massive disruption when we are on hightened alert.

I know I for one have been guilty of "cutting it close" getting to the airports for flights recently since I know the security is lower. I usually park my car about 30 minutes before my departure time. Now they are saying to get to the airport at least 3 hours in advance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom