Recomendations for a Dive Vacation, Please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In-Hoc

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are relatively new to diving. We both have our Advanced Certification but only have a few dozen dives in. I would like to surprise her by taking her on a dive get away. Money is a slight problem but not terrible. I would like to keep it under $2500 if at all possible. I would prefer to take her to warm water as currently we only dive Cold water. I would like to dive as much as possible for 3-4 days and then maybe take a day or two to enjoy the area, see the sights. All your suggestions would be very greatly appreciated.

Bonaire!!

You can do all shore dives, and save the boat costs for your accomodations, flight, and tanks... Additionally, Bonaire (from what I hear -- we're scheduling to be out there for the first time in about five months), is an ideal beginner location...

Bonaire would also be my first choice. Curcao is almost as nice but is easier to get to. The diving on both islands is really easy and great at the same time. The water is safe to drink and the food is good. I know of a nice little place on Bonaire that's not fancy but is clean, safe and fairly inexpensive.
Coz may also be another choice. Lots of people love it and the diving is good if you like drift diving. It's not one my top pick list however, just not my kind of place.
A bug in your plans may be passports. If she does not already have one, an out of the country trip is going to be a problem to keep a surprize. If she does not have a PP, the Fla Keys may be your best choice. The water is warm, the diving is as easy or difficult are you want and it's pretty easy and cheap to get to.

Good and easy diving you can find in the Baja California.
In Cabo San Lucas, there are a few Dive centres, a beautiful land scape, it is cheap for accom and food, outstanding diving, warm water, for me the best place to have some easy dives and a good time!!!

Bonaire
Perfect for your diving skills
Great Diving
South of the main hurricane track
Dive as much or as little as you want to.
Most resorts have a house reef 3 mins from the dock where you can dive 5 dives a day and still discover something new.
Wide variety of resorts from self catering upwards. Sand Dollar is the one I am familiar with, and would strongly recommend, but there are many others.
A quick google for bonaire dive resorts will give you plenty of choice.

I just got back from Curacao and I think it would fit the bill perfectly for you. Great diving, with great topside activities as well as being out of the "hurricane belt". You will want to rent a car, though to hit the best spots (same in Bonaire).

We just went to Bonaire for first time (end of July).

Was FANTASTIC! 24 dives in 5.5 days (1/2 of them at house reef, right across street from our resort!)

My wife was a new diver and more than doubled her number of dives during that one week! VERY easy diving. No boat trips, walk in, walk out!

Other than that, I'd recommend Key Largo, Florida (short boat rides, 30-40 foot reef dives never get old!) Also deeper wrecks if you feel inclined. Great place to gain experience!

Hi In-Hoc,

Any specific time of year you're looking to travel? If so, it could be important.

Some venues have warm water year 'round, e.g., Bonaire, Curacao, while others can have quite chill temps at certain periods, e.g., Cabo San Lucas (I've been there when the scuba temps hit the mid to upper 50s).

Others are subject to rough conditions, e.g., Flower Bank (not much to do in the area if your trip is scratched). Of course anything within the huricane belt, e.g., FL Keys, carries some risk during season.

You also may wish to consider Cozumel. Could bring that in at around $2,500 with a good package deal and frugal eating and drinking.

If you're flexible and can move fairly quickly, follow the specials on sites such as TravelZoo http://www.travelzoo.com/ and Site 59 http://www.site59.com/

Regards,

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom