Tipping the boat crew at all inclusives resorts??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Culcuhain

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What's the norm?
About to head out to an all-inclusive non-dive resort (but diving is inclusive).
What should the appropriate tip be for a morning 2 tank dive (total for 2 people)
and if you do the afternoon dive too, do you tip then or after each outing?

Thanks!

In general if they do a good job for you - five dollars US per tank.
(This is pretty well an overall rule of thumb).

I don't think that being an all inclusive should matter.

I am personally fine with $10 a day per diver when you are diving morning and afternoon - the problem is when you have different crew in the morning and the afternoon.

Last edited:
What's the norm?
About to head out to an all-inclusive non-dive resort (but diving is inclusive).
What should the appropriate tip be for a morning 2 tank dive (total for 2 people)

Thanks!

You might be interested in this thread.. lots and lots of opinions on the same subject.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...ive-masters-boat-crew-scuba-club-cozumel.html

What's the norm?

Thanks!

A few different questions here:

1.) Do you tip at "all inclusive" resorts?

Depends - if it's the type of all-inclusive resort where "all gratuities are included" then I would say, NO. If it's simply a resort that includes all meals and activities, then tipping would be appropriate - if deserved of course.

2.) What's the appropriate tip for a 2-tank dive?

When not in an "all inclusive" situation, $5-$10 per tank is common.

3.) Should you tip seperately for morning and afternoon trips?

Yes, the boat crew will likely be different, even if only by a person or two. Since tips are usually evenly divided among the crew (and usually right after the trip) tipping at the end of each boat trip ensures that the crewmembers that earned your tip actually receive it.

Ray

I'm not sure, but from what I understand at the resort I'm going to (in 48 hours :D:D:D ) they don't take tips. Even for the dive. I'm not sure if thats true but thats what I've heard. I'll verify when I get back.

Sounds like the same deal as you, all inclusive, not a dive resort but diving included.

I'm not sure, but from what I understand at the resort I'm going to (in 48 hours :D:D:D ) they don't take tips. Even for the dive. I'm not sure if thats true but thats what I've heard. I'll verify when I get back.

Sounds like the same deal as you, all inclusive, not a dive resort but diving included.

That's one that I am heading too... tipping only to the butler (which we will not have) all other tips are not permitted... just don't know about the diving...

I knew of the 5-10 per tank. I will go with that.

Thanks guys!
Back in a week and a few days!

Don't forget the boat captain- he is likely doing double duty switching out tanks a2nd helping you to your seat.

We do $5 for each man per tank.

Remember when tipping was a bonus for service beyond responsibilities....? :confused:
A few different questions here:

1.) Do you tip at "all inclusive" resorts?

Depends - if it's the type of all-inclusive resort where "all gratuities are included" then I would say, NO. If it's simply a resort that includes all meals and activities, then tipping would be appropriate - if deserved of course.

2.) What's the appropriate tip for a 2-tank dive?

When not in an "all inclusive" situation, $5-$10 per tank is common.

3.) Should you tip seperately for morning and afternoon trips?

Yes, the boat crew will likely be different, even if only by a person or two. Since tips are usually evenly divided among the crew (and usually right after the trip) tipping at the end of each boat trip ensures that the crewmembers that earned your tip actually receive it.

Ray
I'll still tip at a resort that says gratuities included as I doubt that they are really. I'm not a big tipper, but don't mind sharing a bit - and it has its rewards. I generally tip the crew after each trip, even if it may be the same crew every day. Don't want them to think I may stiff them like some do, and again. it has its rewards.
Don't forget the boat captain- he is likely doing double duty switching out tanks a2nd helping you to your seat.

We do $5 for each man per tank.
I generally give it to one and expect them to split it. $5/tank, $15 for 2, more if you want.

I do a fiver per tank. I've also given select DM's the option of cash, or some dive gear (bags, sausages and the like). I've also prearranged to bring DM's new wetsuits in lieu of tips.

That's one that I am heading too... tipping only to the butler (which we will not have) all other tips are not permitted...
I wish more operators were like that.

I'll still tip at a resort that says gratuities included
I wish fewer people were like you.

I just feel that this whole practice of tipping is unnatural. Employees should be paid by their employers not by their customers. Giving someone a tip for that extra service that he gave is fine but that is not what is being discussed here. If I speak out about tipping I know that the next argument is going to be "but these people earn so little, without our tips they won't survive" and I have a big problem with that.

There, can of worms opened.

Back
Top Bottom