Maui - Molokini Crater diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jellyroll02

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all - husband and I making first trip to Maui in late July. Want to squeeze in a couple days diving while we're in Kihei so thought we'd do Molokini Crater. What sites do you recommend and would you do boat dives both days or try a shore dive on one of the days? Also, would you recommend diving with ProDiver or B&B? We've logged 125+ dives and have only dived in Caribbean (Bonaire-shore; Cozumel, Belize & Little Cayman-boat) so looking forward to diving Pacific. We're not big adventure divers - mostly interested in marine life. Thanks for your help!

If you are very interested in endemic species, I'd recommend the Mike Severns operation. Pauline, one of the owners, is also a co-author of one of the guides to Hawaiian marine life, and the focus of the boat is very much on where the staff has found unusual endemics. The boat also tends to draw a more experienced diving crowd.

The sites done by the Molokini ops depend very much on the experience level of the divers, and the water and wind conditions of the day.

Shore diving on Maui is quite good, and you will see many of the same things (a lot of the boats use the inshore reefs as their second dive, anyway). Check out shorediving.com and alohashoredivers.com for information on Maui shore diving sites.

I second Severns for the reasons above. They do leave early (6AMish) though - all the Kihei boats do since they launch from the ramp and like to be back b4 10am to beat the tradewinds b4 2nd dives along the coast. Reef's End is a good dive on the right point, my buddy likes Shark Condos also but I didn't dive it. Kind of a good dive site summary is: Molokini Crater Scuba Diving | Molokini Maui Dive Sites Although they don't mention it, a insta-buddy and I found reef sharks sleeping in the sand at Tako Flats also. As we got close they'd move 100 yds. then settle down again. We only chased them once...lol

An interesting second dive - if they'll do it - is Umekahame Beach off West Maui. It's really hit/miss though since it's a shallow water Manta cleaning station. If they're there, it's pretty amazing, if not it's pretty average or even slightly boring - they might suggest one of the turtle sites instead.

While there's shore dives in Kihei, IMO there's better shore dives in Wailea to the south. The Kihei beach dive sites (Kamaole's etc.) see a lot of beachgoers from the hundreds(thousands?) of condos just across the street behind them.

Everyone has their favorite but mine is Wailea Beach - esp. the south point. I've seen a family of Cornetfish out there, big Puffers, lots of tangs and surgeonfish of all sorts - including Naso's and Powder Blues - we also saw some that looked like Powder Blues but were brown/white - a whole school of them. There's also the rare lagoon triggerfish found there. I've only seen one swimming away. Lots of turtles and morays also. Some interesting overhangs in among the jumble of lava on the point as well.

If you plan to shore dive in that area get there early, parking lots will be full b4 9AM. Since there's often resorts on either side - the Grand Wailea also shares Wailea Beach - there's no other options for parking nearby. We've done alright late afternoons also.

You might consider hiring a guide also. Both Doug at Shaka Divers or someone from Maui Dreams Dive Co. are options - there's probably a dozen more.

People dive Hawaii and then report back on how barren it was - esp. compared to the Caribbean. Which it is to some extent but it's often that the fish have learned to hide better. Once a guide shows you they become a lot more apparent. Hawaii in general has one of - if not the largest populations of endemic species in the world. I suspect a lot of them are in the marine reserve but still...

I've seen just about the largest schools of fish in my life off West Lana'i - one DM estimated we saw 5000 Moorish Idols once holding in the current off Sharkfin. Bunches of tangs/butterfly's also. And it's not considered the fishiest site. To get there from Kihei you'll need to drive to Lahaina - about 45mins. The only good thing is the boats leave at an almost civiilized 7AM. I'd go with Extended Horizons.

Last edited:
Will do - thanks for tip!

The backside of Molokini Crater is hit or miss depending on sea conditions--if the operator will go. The inside of the crater is fairly mediocre diving IMHO. Some of the best turtle encounters I have seen are in the area between Kihei and the crater.
+1 for shore diving guide Doug at Shaka Divers.

I have to agree with ScubaGolf. Molokini isn't close to my favorite dive site, I much prefer many of the just off shore sites, with Red Hill being my absolute favorite boat dive and Wailea Point being my favorite shore dive.

Yep, we were thinking Molokini Crater might not be the best diving but since it's our first visit thought we should check it out nonetheless since we expect to be back :). Definitely sounds like Red Hill would be more interesting to us than the wreck dive that some do on 2nd dive... We do prefer shore diving (spoiled by Bonaire) so will likely do that on 2nd day. Thanks to everyone for the great advice!

Back
Top Bottom