Molokai vs Molokini Crater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hqduong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Which do you prefer? I can't make up my mind. I have a short trip to Maui but I can't make up my mind. Which one has more sea life?

Hi hq-

You are comparing apples and oranges here. Molokini is a visually spectacular dive with lots of reef fish, near 100% coral cover in places and as a result, probably the quintessential dive if you are on Maui. It is also fairly benign with visitors ranging in skill level from snorkelers with lifejackets to fairly advanced divers drift diving the back wall.

By contrast, Molokai is all about hammerhead sharks. You might also see tuna, dolphins, and galapagos sharks, but the hammerheads are the star attraction. It is also an advanced dive. You will be dropped off effectively in the middle of the Pailolo Channel which, even on a nice day, is much rougher than most days at Molokini. The ride to and from Molokai generates a lot of lost lunches.

Which is better all depends on your preference. I prefer Molokai because even when I am photographing a macro shot, I am always hoping in the back of my mind for something larger. I dive for a sense of excitement and adventure and am usually pushing my boundaries, and in this light, Molokai fits the bill. If you prefer relaxed diving with beauty all around, Molokini is the way to go. Either way, have fun!

Hmm, you calling Molokai advanced makes me a bit nervous about scheduling it into our trip at the end of April. My wife and I have about 25 dives, half of which were dry suit dives in 45 degree water near Vancouver. Should I scratch this off the list?

Oddible-Molokai is a high energy dive with a live drop off (moving boat) and lively pickup. Getting there means chopping through a channel that turns the residual sea state up to eleven. It isn't like you are diving in a bay or some protected area, that same magnified chop that turned everyone green on the bounce out is what you jump into. The first tie I dived it there was a hell of a current, the second time not so much. You drift along staring out into the blue and scanning the bottom from ~80 feet, then follow the action from there. And don't touch the unexploded ordinances on the bottom (not kidding-there are bombs down there).

It is a heck of an experience and I highly recommend it-if you are up for it.

If you're confident you can reboard an unanchored boat in 6-8 foot seas, then you'll probably be fine on a Moloka'i charter. Of course that's the worst case scenario, but not unrealistic in that channel.

I just dove at Molokini last week. The visability was absolutely amazing. Probably around 50 meters. With no current, plenty of fish and the sounds of whales throughout; It was a great/relaxing dive.

Another thing with Molokai is there's a chance you may not see anything. Sure, the same is true for pretty much whenever you get in the water, but at least for Molokini, there's still coral/etc to look at. From what I remember, the Molokai site (for hammerheads) is primarily a sandy bottom.

I got skunked there last time (which is why I mention it), though there was a pod of dolphins jumping around us while waiting on the surface for the boat. A previous trip, we did see a dozen or so hammerheads in the distance.

You may also want to consider a trip to Lanai if you're not already.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom