August dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freewillie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,I'm coming to Maui/Kona in August 2012. Starting to search dive shops in advance. I will be with two Jr OW beginner diver's. My 14 yo daughter and her best friend. Dives are limited to beginner levels.We were hoping for both Molokini and Lanai. Any suggestions or recommendations for dive operators?For Kona I've heard that Jack's Dive Locker, Kona Honu, and Kona diver's are all good. Any preferences?Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I recommend Lahaina Divers for beginning divers for at least Lanai. Although they take a lot of folks on their boats (up to 23 divers), the boats are super stable, very roomy, have a bathroom, and make for a very comfortable ride to and from the dive sites (less sea sickness). The entire operation is geared toward safety and catering to the occasional and/or beginning diver with shallower profiles and shorter dive times. They also have very nice rental equipment if you need it. It's a 45 minute drive from South Maui (Kihei, Wailea) to Lahaina, but it makes for a shorter, smoother crossing to Lanai.

For Molokini you have quite a few choices, especially if you don't mind driving early in the morning if you're staying in West Maui (Lahaina/Kaanapali/Napili). From the Kihei boat ramp, I'd recommend Ed Robinson's or B&B for beginners. From West Maui, you can stick with Lahaina Divers and enjoy the boat ride from Lahaina to Molokini. Gorgeous views!

Lahaina Divers actually serves sandwiches between dives on their charters, but you'll find that everyone else (at least on Maui) has some sort of snack (muffins, sweet rolls, pineapple, etc) before and between dives as well. Boats also carry fresh water and mask defog....it is definitely the Aloha State!!

Whomever you choose, make sure you speak with the dive operator and tell them you have junior divers, etc. They'll need to know that in order to put you in the right dive group with the right dive master.

2011 summer for Maui/Molokini I went with Dive and Sea (Capt John and DM Emi, great people). I dived with my 13 year old newly certified daughter. They took great care of her. I will go with John/Emi again without further thought. Capt John can arrange for you to have your own DM to look after the girls. You need to go early for Molokini as the wind gets up around noon. We also dived at Kona with Ocean Sports and saw a shark, turtle, squid, entered lava tubes. They have a fantastic lady instructor (sorry forgot her name) who will show you plenty of things during the dive.

Lahaina Divers is great, I did the Molokini and Lani with them and had a total blast. Also a great shore dives are Makena landing and Kapalua Bay. I was just there in november and going back in march for another week.

Steve

I've gone with Ed Robinsons (Maui Diving & Snorkel Adventures) many times and like them a lot. They'll take you to many sites. Smaller boats so that you're not in a big herd. And they don't have a fixed agenda, so they'll take the group where it wants to go. They leave from the Kihei boat landing which is closer to the dive sites so you have a shorter ride to get where you're going. Definitely a plus. And I'd recommend staying down in Wailea over Lahaina or points north. You're closer to where you'll be diving so less early morning driving. And it's just nicer down there. Less "touristy" feeling.

Back
Top Bottom