Hello from Iowa...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve74

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone from Iowa. I've stumbled onto this board a few days ago and it exactly what I'm looking for. I've been certified for several years, but only logged 20 dives. I wish there was a major body of water in this state. Last month my wife got her certification and now we’re both excited to have fun and gain experience diving this summer.

So, any Hawkeyes out there? What there to do in the Midwest?

-Steve

Welcome to the board!

Joe

Steve74:
Hello everyone from Iowa. I've stumbled onto this board a few days ago and it exactly what I'm looking for. I've been certified for several years, but only logged 20 dives. I wish there was a major body of water in this state. Last month my wife got her certification and now we’re both excited to have fun and gain experience diving this summer.

So, any Hawkeyes out there? What there to do in the Midwest?

-Steve
I was born in Burlington, IA. Most of my relatives are still there but I'm in Chicago now. Welcome to the board.

Joe

Bluefish:
Went to school for LONG time in IC. Live in IL, but still a Hawk. What about Lake Mcbride or Coralville Lake? I'm heading up to Pearl Lake tomorrow, which is two hours for me, three for you.

Pearl Lake would be great for us since it's nearby family members. We've been to Joplin for her last 2 open water cert dives, but it's 7 hours too far. I don't know about Lake Mcbride or Coralville Rez, they're a bit soupy plus the boat traffic in the Rez.

I once dove in a scumy lake/pond near Cedar Rapids called Palo. I swear the viz was only 1-2 ft because all I saw was me and buddy's hands following a dive line covered in fishing lures....maybe it counts as a night dive.

It can only get better, just have to travel a bit.

-Steve

Pearl's not too bad for midwest diving. It was a gravel pit, and the owners really work hard to make it dive friendly. They've sunk boats, planes, submarines (can you sink a submarine?), panel vans, and a few training platforms at about 20 feet. Viz can be 5 to 15 feet depending on time of year, rainfall, and how many OW students are in the water. The shop with which I dive does all of our training dives there. I've never been diving in mcbride or coralville, I mountain bike at Sugarbottom and cool off in the lake, so I see your point. If you're interested in more info on Pearl or training there, let me know.

More info at:
www.pearllake.com

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

Ask anything - in the appropriate forum, and we'll make up an answer...

don

:D

Glad you found us! This is a great place to spend your SI, but watch out, it's addictive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom