Advice on camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Annod123

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am more into snorkeling and sadly not a diver (have always wanted to learn, but $$ prevents me at this time). I am a novice photographer and need some advice. I am taking my teenaged daughter to Grand Cayman in July and we are planning on doing as much snorkeling as we can! I need a good underwater camera for stills and video. I have been reading so many different reviews on all the different choices that my head is spinning! I do not have a lot to spend (hoping to get something decent under $300 or $350 at most) and would greatly appreciate any advice. Does anyone know anything about the SeaLife cameras? Reefmaster and Mini? I've read conflicting reviews.. should I stay away from them? Try them? What about the Olympus Tough Tg-1 or Tg-2 (more than I want to spend, but have read lots of good reviews). My fear is buying something and having it die on me while down there then having nothing at all to record our trip!
Again, any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!
Donna

Donna,
I would suggest talking to a local dive shop in your area about cameras. You can buy any camera, however you will need to buy an under water housing that the camera will fit into. you can get a cheep camera but make sure that when you buy a housing make sure you have the camera with you to ensure that it will fit.

Brian

Brian,
Thank you but I'm looking more for a digital that I don't need a housing for. Since I am only going to be snorkeling and not going on deep dives, I know there are some decent cameras out there that are waterproof as is. I actually have a Nikon D3000 DSLR, but the cost of a housing for it are prohibitive!

It all depends on what you mean by waterproof. Look at the depth rating of them. Some are only good to 30 or 40 feet. A decent waterproof point and shoot usually has some kind of housing. I'd wait til next week and give the guys at Leisure Pro a call. No need to hit a local dive shop unless they have a pro underwater photo guy on staff. Not someone who took a class to learn how to sell a course and sell a camera.
Photography, Digital Cameras, Lenses, Electronics - 8PM Shipping - Adorama Camera

They also own Adorama Camera so they know about underwater rigs from cheap to crazy expensive.

Inexpensive Sealife Reefmaster Mini SL332 Camera
Intova IC14 14MP Digital Camera with Waterproof Housing
Intova Sport Pro camera Lighting System
Intova Sport Pro HD Waterproof Video Digital Camera

Any of these would work just fine.

You can find ones without a housing even less. But personally why risk a cheapo camera that is not really waterproof but more water resistant.

Since you mentioned video - one of these might work. GoPro Official Website: The World's Most Versatile Camera

All shoot multi-mode HD video standard. And do either 11 or 12MP stills. They even have a 10 or 30fps still "burst mode" for fast moving things.

The Silver is $300, the Black is $400. The included housing is good to 197' and there's others available reasonably. As well as filters, trays, external lenses etc.

What you can expect snorkeling with one: http://gopro.com/videos/video-of-the-day/2013/1/9/ (granted it was professionally shot and edited but there's some good shallow reef shots near the beginning)

For me the biggest limitation would be that they're fixed focus - although it's a pretty close distance -and there's no framing unless you buy the optional $80 Bacpac.

We have a forum here dedicated to them: GoPro Video

If possible you should try to get a PanasonicLumex. They are fantastic camera’s and brilliant for underwater use. Just havea look at YouTube and see some of the results people are getting.
Not sure about the underwater case, maybe youcould find a cheap universal case or something.

Olympus TG-2, waterproof to 50FSW, freezeproof, crushproof, drop proof and lots of other great features.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom