Another old guy, getting back into diving after 30+ years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ruscat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all! I'm new to the forum and I'm excited to get back into diving after a long hiatus. Originally began diving in 1964 (NAUI certified) but stopped shortly after 1983 (couldn't find the time). Most of my experience was on the east coast off Long Island. I've been snorkeling for the past 20+ years in lots of different places but now I've got the dive bug again. Since my scuba skills are rusty and things have dramatically changed since my last dive, I just completed the PADI Open Water eLearning. I'll be doing my pool and open water dives while I'm on vacation in Aruba next month. I hope to take PADI's Advanced Open Water course back in Michigan in late summer. Hope this isn't a mistake for a 67 year old like myself, but I don't think so. Let me know what you think. :wink:

I did my initial certification at 61. I am 66 now and hope to enjoy many more years of diving. Welcome back.

Welcome! As long as you are healthy, have no contraindications, and want to do it... you shouldn't have any problems! But you will get lots of opinions and help here.... :wink:

...//.. . Hope this isn't a mistake for a 67 year old like myself, but I don't think so. Let me know what you think. :wink:

Mistake? LOL!

You are well ahead of the curve, at 67 you most likely came to realize that there is no rush. Stay fit, endurance training, plan your courses, and research your instructors. Like it or not, instructors span the entire spectrum. Pick from the middle and up...

Welcome back. There are a lot of things we, er more weathered, beat and battered folks can not do, but diving is not one of them, as long as we maintain reasonable fitness.

Certified in 70 myself. quit sometime later after school. restarted in the 80's. quit again (drifted into other things is more accurate) and got back into diving first in 95, and then seriously the last 15 years, taking several PADI and then GUE classes, to refresh, and then hone skills.

The world of diving has evolved a long way since we first certified, but if we keep refreshing and developing our skills we can keep diving for a very long time. Beats golf carts and a rocking chair

My husband is 65 and instructing . . . Like you, he got certified in the 60's, took a long surface interval, and got back into diving eight years ago. He and I are both tech and cave certified, and he's an OWSI. We dive a lot, and love it. More power to you!

Back
Top Bottom