Back in the saddle again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chrisk919

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
NC Diver getting back into diving again after a bit of a hiatus. Originally from FL, moved to NC for work some years ago.

As far as gear, I'm thinking about looking at a BP/W setup as the concept of a crotch-strap appeals to me because no matter how tight I cummerbund a jacket-style BCD it rides up on me and I get a 1st stage in the back of the head at the surface.

I also need to look at some new regs, as my old ones are... well, old...

hey, welcome! I've been to NC, well, the Raleigh area. it's pretty there, and I've heard the state in general has awesome diving.
I switched from a jacket to BPW, and it was a life-changer. so much more comfortable, and it actually stays in place!

NC Diver getting back into diving again after a bit of a hiatus. Originally from FL, moved to NC for work some years ago.

As far as gear, I'm thinking about looking at a BP/W setup as the concept of a crotch-strap appeals to me because no matter how tight I cummerbund a jacket-style BCD it rides up on me and I get a 1st stage in the back of the head at the surface.

I also need to look at some new regs, as my old ones are... well, old...
Regarding the regs, old doesn't necessarily mean bad. What do you have? There is a good chance that just serviceing them will be good to go. To put it in perspective, my kids and I dive regs that range from 40 to 70 years old safely and with great breathing characteristics.

Respectfully,

James

Regarding the regs, old doesn't necessarily mean bad. What do you have? There is a good chance that just serviceing them will be good to go. To put it in perspective, my kids and I dive regs that range from 40 to 70 years old safely and with great breathing characteristics.

Respectfully,

James
First stage is an Oceanic 1995 balanced piston (pre-dated the PX2, I believe)
Second stage primary is an original Oceanic Delta (can still get both of these serviced).

My secondary is a Dacor Pacer (with the PBD still attached for storage!)... LDS serviced it last time but said "Next time we won't service it again, but we'll put it on 'the wall' (of old double-hose/vintage gear they have over the service desk)".

Now, I know from reading some of the posts here and elsewhere, and looking at the service manuals (before frogkick went DOA) that those Dacor sets are pretty generic rings/seats, but I'm not a trained technician - although I am handy and in a technical field and I'd like to try servicing my own kit at some point but probably need to get with some of the Tech folks who are proficient at that in the area.

So it's probably 3 reasons I want to get a new set of regs:
1) I'm looking for a new reg set that is that EAN-ready, with no questions - and most of the older service kits listed for the Oceanic gear have two sets AIR vs Nitrox, so there would be an additional charge to get Viton rings/seats etc to service them.
2) I'll grab another octo to replace the Dacor, get them serviced again next year (for air only), and keep that as either a travel/backup set OR try to finally get my (adult) daughter to get certified and let her use those.
3) I kinda want to try out a DIN set vs yoke. It just seems more compact.

First stage is an Oceanic 1995 balanced piston (pre-dated the PX2, I believe)
Second stage primary is an original Oceanic Delta (can still get both of these serviced).

My secondary is a Dacor Pacer (with the PBD still attached for storage!)... LDS serviced it last time but said "Next time we won't service it again, but we'll put it on 'the wall' (of old double-hose/vintage gear they have over the service desk)".

Now, I know from reading some of the posts here and elsewhere, and looking at the service manuals (before frogkick went DOA) that those Dacor sets are pretty generic rings/seats, but I'm not a trained technician - although I am handy and in a technical field and I'd like to try servicing my own kit at some point but probably need to get with some of the Tech folks who are proficient at that in the area.

So it's probably 3 reasons I want to get a new set of regs:
1) I'm looking for a new reg set that is that EAN-ready, with no questions - and most of the older service kits listed for the Oceanic gear have two sets AIR vs Nitrox, so there would be an additional charge to get Viton rings/seats etc to service them.
2) I'll grab another octo to replace the Dacor, get them serviced again next year (for air only), and keep that as either a travel/backup set OR try to finally get my (adult) daughter to get certified and let her use those.
3) I kinda want to try out a DIN set vs yoke. It just seems more compact.
Yeah, Dacor can be a tough nut to crack. Regarding EAN, below 40% there shouldn't be any real difference. High pressure high O2 percentage is where it becomes a concern (first stages dealing with high percentage O2). Regarding the rest, variations of "because I want to" are also always valid!
Regarding working on your own gear, as a smarter man than I said "it's not difficult, just precise". Take a look at VintageDoubleHose.com . The store is down due to the proprietor passing, but at the bottom of the home page there is a link to catalogs and manuals... A wealth of information there.

Respectfully,

James

Chrisk919, be careful going to the vintage gear forum… you’ll be like me and cleaning up your old gear and even going out and grabbing up more antique and vintage gear because… well, just because!

@James79 is a fellow enabler and if you let us, we’ll take you down a (watery) rabbit hole! While I did pick up a BP/W recently, I don’t see any chance in the world that my old Conshelf XIV will be staying home when I go diving!

BTW, there are lots of nice places to dive in NC. I did my advanced OW at Fantasy Lake, a flooded quarry near Raleigh and of course the Outer Banks have some good wreck diving. In my seniority I like warmer water now so I prefer SC down South to FL then a left turn out to the Bahamas, but any excuse to get wet! 🤿

🐸

Chrisk919, be careful going to the vintage gear forum… you’ll be like me and cleaning up your old gear and even going out and grabbing up more antique and vintage gear because… well, just because!
LOL, Oh I get that. I kind of like some of the old gear and the 'Undersea World of Jaques Cousteau' feel they evoke... it's why I kept that Dacor for so long (and frankly it breathes just as well as my adjustable Delta)

Funny story, I was diving in Playa Del Carmen/Cozumel this July and I caught my cenote DM eyeing my gear... "Has it been serviced... er recently?"

I responded "Yes, and some of it is older than you are."
BTW, there are lots of nice places to dive in NC. I did my advanced OW at Fantasy Lake, a flooded quarry near Raleigh and of course the Outer Banks have some good wreck diving. In my seniority I like warmer water now so I prefer SC down South to FL then a left turn out to the Bahamas, but any excuse to get wet! 🤿

🐸
Yeah, I dove Fantasy and Mystery a number of times back in 2018/2019 with Steve_C - I was going to ring him up in early 2021 to dive a bit more and maybe get some local inshore dives done, but that's when I found out about his illness...

I'm actually planning on heading to Fantasy on the 26th, weather permitting, as a local club (DUDC) is meeting there that day, so putting a call out for new buddies will be easier. As you said, any excuse to get wet!

Congrats on having a local club. My nearest “LDS” is over 50 miles away so I don’t get to their gatherings and activities, only hear about them via e-mail.

Would you be so kind as to post a report on Fantasy Lake after your next trip and let us know about its current state? If you put in an @Green Frog tag, I’ll be sure to see it. I’d like to know about facilities, camping, on-site dive shop with air fills, etc. Last I heard, the current ownership had cut back on what was available.

🐸

Back
Top Bottom