Decided to Finally Make a Legit Intro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike.chuanshi

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, ScubaBoard!

My name is Mike and I'm in Honolulu on the Hawaiian Island of Oahu. I've been poking around on ScubaBoard for a few months now, but until recently was mostly just feeling it out and getting a sense for what is all here (there's a lot)! I'm a fairly new diver (64 dives) so I'm here to learn from those who have been diving for a while and are willing to share their wisdom.

I've wanted to be a diver for as long as I can remember - one of my earliest memories is being in a pool pretending to be a diver (had drawn a DC on my hand and everything). For sixteen years, about one-fourth of every year was spent on the ocean since my dad is a commercial fisherman in Alaska, so I also have a deep love and respect for the ocean and all its wonders. When I received a nice scholarship offer from the University of Hawaii, I jumped on the opportunity (full ride, beautiful tropics, gorgeous women... can't say it was a hard decision), and after getting a couple of degrees, getting myself established, and getting some money in the bank, I figured it was time to go diving. I asked some friends who dive about where to go for training and settled on Aaron's Dive Shop in Kailua. I've been learning and diving with the great bunch of people there for about seven months now. I still suck, but I'm having fun doing it. My schedule is a bit insane, but I still try to make time to get underwater whenever I can.

As an instructor (educational technology) and grad student, I'm a bit of book nerd and have been devouring a few texts on scuba recently. I read Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson which really played to my personal interests and background, and which inspired me to take a more in-depth look at wreck diving. Among the many other books I read, I also picked up SCUBA: A Practical Guide for the New Diver by James Lapenta and The Six Skills by Steve Lewis, learned a lot from them, and thought I might learn even more if I came to where these guys hang out online.

I have a very strong interest in technical diving and exploration, which goes hand-in-hand with my academic background in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math). The more I have trained and read, however, the more I have learned about how far I have to go before I'm ready to start any kind of serious technical training. In the meantime, I'm having a blast diving anywhere and everywhere I can on these beautiful islands in the middle of the wondrous Pacific.

Welcome aboard! The world of scuba will benefit from your interest and enthusiasm. Have fun with it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom