Carib Dancer Cancellation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha! Silly me. I was just going to send you a message that someone started a thread on SB about your problem. Then I realized who it was!

Bill

Unfortunately they have had almost continuous problems with the boat and crew since it was put in service earlier this year.

But don't worry when you do get to go you'll get free NITROx, if the NITROX generator is working.

Did you have insurance covering airfare?

Scary....I'm starting to get flashbacks from the "trip that didn't happen" with the Nekton crew. At least Dancer fleet called you-Nekton didn't even do that-if we hadn't read about it on ScubaBoard we'd have shown up tickets in hand and ready to board!

Update

Although Dancer Fleet has offered to provide a small voucher for future travel they have said they will not refund the full amount paid for the trip even though they cancelled! A portion of the amount we paid covers our travel agent's comission. She held up her end of the bargain booking us initially and has been dealing with Dancer since they cancelled on us. When she was informed that Dancer would not reimburse us the full amount she offerred to refund her comission. This hardy seems fair to us. In our opinion this is highly unprofessional on Dancer Fleet's part.

I always refund the commission when a trip is cancelled, whether it's the customer who cancels within the no-penalty period or the operator who cancels. The operator will refund to me the amount I pay (which is the contract rate), and I will add to that the amount I kept from the customer's payment as commission. Yes, the agent still did the work and it would be nice if she were paid for this work, but in all fairness, you cannot expect the operator to refund more money than they received. (OTOH, it's a different ballgame if the customer cancels after certain cutoff dates have passed--if it's so late a cancellation that penalties come into play, then I keep my share.)

you cannot expect the operator to refund more money than they received

Quero,

I most certainly can, and do! I also do not feel it to be unreasonable.

I booked my trip with a deposit and later with a balance payment both of which become non-refundable should I wish/need to cancel. I accepted that this risk existed. But I also expect Dancer Fleet to accept some of the risk and responsibility in our customer-service provider relationship as well.

There have been several posts on this board describing the general disrepair of the Carib Dancer since it began operating in the Bahamas. Are the issues resulting in the cancellation of the Dec 29th sailing associated with the same lack of care and maintanence leading people to report the condition of the boat in this manner? Has the boat owner failed to allocate sufficient resources and funds to the maintanace and repair of the vessel?

Unfortunately we booked prior to these issues coming to light. I contacted Dancer Fleet in early November and inquired about cancellation. Not surprisingly they declined to allow me to do so without forefitting all money paid. I lived up to my end of the bargin. My travel agent lived up to her end of the bargin. It is unfair for Dancer Fleet to expect customers and travel agents to accept all of the risk associated with this poor operation!

So let me get this right, The Dancer fleet cancelled your paid in full charter and refuse to re-emburse your funds? How is this legal, sounds like out and out theft. Hope you have trip insurance.

Itoosilly, I understand your disappointment at the last minute cancellation. The moment a deposit is paid to an operator, a contract comes into force, the terms of which the payee would be wise to become familiar with, particularly as these vary from one operator to the next. You learned the conditions imposed in regards to guest cancellations and accepted these, but did you request clarification of the parallel operator-cancellation policies? If you paid your deposit to the agent and then your agent paid it forward, your contract isn't even with the operator, but rather with the agency, and in this case you need to review what their refund policies stipulate (they are sometimes different from those of the boat operator); when an agent books for a client, the boat operator's contract is with the agent and not with the diver, so it's the agency's policies that will apply in such a case. Furthermore, operators typically invoke a "force majeure" clause so that it's sometimes the case that there is no refund at all, not even a partial one, if a cruise is cancelled due to unexpected mechanical failures or other contretemps.

Because cancellations do sometimes become necessary, I always recommend buying trip insurance. This protects the traveler from losing money on a missed trip regardless of whether the source of the cancellation is with the traveler or with the operator. Just in the past couple of months I've had liveaboard cancellations for a number of reasons: one diver broke his leg in an accident, so both he and his wife had to cancel; one contracted dengue fever; one had a work crisis and had to fly to London to resolve it, so he and his wife canceled; one group of three had an operator cancellation due to a mechanical failure of the boat; one got spooked about a news story in his destination and canceled; and so on. Of all of the cancellations I've dealt with over the past couple of months, only one client followed my advice to buy trip insurance, and he got all his money back, including airfare, hotel deposits, etc. One lost 60% of what he paid to me, and the 40% I was able to return to him included my entire commission, and he lost additional money on airfares.

My point (without blaming nor defending this particular operator) is that any customer who gets 100% back without insurance covering some part of the loss is going to get the agent's commission as well. The operator isn't going to give back more than they got, at least not without a court judgment ordering them to do so, regardless of what any individual customer feels he has a moral right to expect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom