Carib Dancer Cancellation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just can't totally agree with awap on insurance. It's more a question of were you are in life. When you hit the stage of having family members who are aging or other things that can stop a trip, it becomes a situational choice. As to cost, I self insure under $3000 and insure over that amount. Flying out of Chicago in winter in and of itself causes one to think negative thoughts about getting somewhere on time. Discussing insurance in a way that implies you are risk adverse and therefore why are you diving is not really helpful. Let each decide based on their personal situation. Self-insuring is a way to go for some and in some situations, just not for everyone and not in every situation.

Rob

I'd like to hear Dancer's side of this. Since they have their own subforum on SB and are diligent about posting their GREAT reports as free advertising, I'm sure that they must be aware of this thread.

One should normally consider insurance to cover losses that are not affordable. Liability, home, life, health, expensive possessions. If you can't afford a dive trip (including the loss of such a trip) then maybe you should not be taking it. Trip insurance may only make good sense if you know you are a higher risk than the rest of the insured pool. Yes, there may be some special, once in a lifetime trips that might be a separate case but this does not sound like one. In the long run, most divers will do better with self insurance. Of course, if you are simply risk adverse (why are you diving) then it may be necessary for the peace of mind rather than the loss coverage.

If this is a chronic problem with the boat, I think they should stop taking deposits -- or at least stop taking final payment -- until their boat is sufficiently seaworthy that they can deliver on the trips they are promising. At the minimum, post a disclaimer. The cancellation policy on their website only covers cancellations on the part of divers (individuals or groups); nothing about the charter cancelling a trip due to issues with the boat, weather, etc.

Apropos of nothing: I've never understood why this boat is called the Carib Dancer, when the Bahamas are not in the Caribbean Sea. :hm:

Based on the original post and the lack of response from the OP, I am beginning to suspect that the dive op is providing a full refund of the $$$ they received and offering a discount voucher for future use. I suspect the dive op is withholding nothing and may be taking an undeserved internet beating.

Edit:

awap, I think if you re-read post #6 from the OP, you'll find they did nothing of the sort:

Update

Although Dancer Fleet has offered to provide a small voucher for future travel they have said they will not refund the full amount paid for the trip even though they cancelled! A portion of the amount we paid covers our travel agent's comission. She held up her end of the bargain booking us initially and has been dealing with Dancer since they cancelled on us. When she was informed that Dancer would not reimburse us the full amount she offerred to refund her comission. This hardy seems fair to us. In our opinion this is highly unprofessional on Dancer Fleet's part.

If true, I would say that any so-called "internet beating" may be well deserved.

As always, it might be enlightening to hear from the other party in this dispute.

Last edited:
I currently have a deposit for 2 divers tied up with Carib Dancer. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and pay the balance and buy travel insurance. I wish I did not have deposit money tied up with this boat.

You are lucky they canceled (or cancelled) your trip.

---------- Post added December 31st, 2012 at 11:14 AM ----------

To John B,
In my opinion the internet beating they are getting is well deserved.

I realize this is a little off topic, but I had to cancel a trip for medical reasons last month. I did buy insurance through Allianz, they refused to pay up and are citing some obscure requirement for documentation I cannot obtain, I won't bore you with the details. I am planning on taking them to small claims court. Long story short, I don't have a lot of trust in the travel insurance industry. It may be a smart move overall, but there are some less the honest operators out there that will use any excuse to avoid payment and I managed to find one.

This is only one anecdote so take it for what it's worth, but I had a great experience with DAN's trip insurance earlier this year. A few days before I was supposed to go on a liveaboard trip I suffered an injury that was initially misdiagnosed as a broken ankle. A couple days later it turned out it was just a sprain and I could still go but by then we had already cancelled a couple of plane tickets and had to rebook at a significantly higher airfare rate. DAN's customer service was great both when it looked like we were going to have to cancel and then about paying for the airfare difference. Definitely a company that I would recommend.

Rationally I understand that over the course of a lifetime it makes more sense to self-insure rather than buy travel insurance. Psychologically though it's worth it for me because of the peace of mind it buys. Back when I thought I'd busted my ankle I was angry and frustrated enough over the injury. If I'd thought I was going to be out the cost of my trip I would've probably slammed my head into a wall in frustration. YMMV.

One should normally consider insurance to cover losses that are not affordable. Liability, home, life, health, expensive possessions. If you can't afford a dive trip (including the loss of such a trip) then maybe you should not be taking it. Trip insurance may only make good sense if you know you are a higher risk than the rest of the insured pool. Yes, there may be some special, once in a lifetime trips that might be a separate case but this does not sound like one. In the long run, most divers will do better with self insurance. Of course, if you are simply risk adverse (why are you diving) then it may be necessary for the peace of mind rather than the loss coverage.

Based on the original post and the lack of response from the OP, I am beginning to suspect that the dive op is providing a full refund of the $$$ they received and offering a discount voucher for future use. I suspect the dive op is withholding nothing and may be taking an undeserved internet beating.

One could assume a high level of arrogance based on this snobby post. MY money has a value to me. Especially if I'm paying for two people. These jackalopes took the people's money, then cancelled and refuse to reimburse? That is theft plain and simple, and most likely felony theft. Though it is not a CRIMINAL theft it would be something I would hire a lawyer and take to court. Sure they offered a voucher, that is BS as well, what is to keep them from canceling again? My time is valuable and limited, I'm not some doctor or lawyer that can take off anytime I want! Or when it is convenient for them. Jeez.

I'm going to be doing a liveaboard, you can bet it won't be with this organization. If they are independents then they need to peer correct this issue. This one bad apple spoiled the whole barrel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To be clear,fair and balanced Dancer Fleet has committed to reimburse most of the money paid, and did offer a small voucher for future travel. My principle complaint (beyond the obvious cancellation at the last minute) is that they are not willing to reimburse the commission paid to our travel agent. It is their expectation that the travel agent return her portion to us directly. Whether this is legally permissible or not has been commented on by others in this thread. I am not an expert on the legalities of the situation. However, I feel that it is inappropriate, unfair, immoral and speaks to the general ethical approach used by Dancer Fleet. She works hard for us (and them) and deserves to be paid for her efforts. She sold the trip for Dancer which they failed to deliver, not her. We are not going to accept any money back from our travel agent, we do not feel that is the right thing to do.

If I were Dancer Fleet I would carefully consider the implications of becoming the poster organization for the need to obtain travel insurance.

I definitely regret being an early sign on to this ill-fated Dancer Fleet destination. I should have learned from the now defunct Baja Aggresser debacle to which I was nearly a victim (luckily I booked on the Solmar instead). My wife and I were considering the new Thailand Aggressor destination for next year. That is now not the case. I would only be comfortable booking with a new boat/destination after they have run for a couple of years without major issues.

My wife and I have already booked a liveaboard vacation for spring break with oneof Dancer/Aggressors competitors. Part of me wishes that I could thumb my nose at Dancer, point out that they are losing my business. But we are just two people and all evidence points to the fact that they just don't care.

Now more of the truth is coming out. Sounds like they offered to reimburse you most (maybe 85%) of your cost plus a small voucher for future travel with them. Still you are out the airfare penalties and the travel agent's commission.

Not as bad as originally led to believe.

But not great either. At least they told you before you boarded the plane unlike Nekton.

I'd still like to hear from the Dancer folks.

Now more of the truth is coming out. Sounds like they offered to reimburse you most (maybe 85%) of your cost plus a small voucher for future travel with them. Still you are out the airfare penalties and the travel agent's commission.

Not as bad as originally led to believe.

But not great either. At least they told you before you boarded the plane unlike Nekton.

I'd still like to hear from the Dancer folks.

Wow remind me not to do business with you, I guess if I buy some gear from you and I get 85% I should count my blessings. Or better yet, I'll sell you some awesome fins and send one. Would you call it good. I don't know where you come from but in my neck of the woods, appears that the OP did his thing and they didn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom