how's the diving near Tulum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's OK. My first ever diving experience was there at Dreams Tulum w/ Maya Diving. I was instantly hooked. Dove twice with them, saw some rays, lobster, eels, not too many fish, but both reefs were shallow, about 40 feet or so. But I still loved it because it was the first time. Since then I've been to Playa up north of there a bit and the reefs were bigger and lots more fish. Bigger stuff too, spadefish, barracuda, seahorses, pipefish, etc.

It may be better in Tulum than the places we went but I have heard that it's better up in Playa. In Tulum though you've got closer access to some of the Cenotes which I'm doing in May when I go back down so you've got that going for you!

Byte Me's right...you are closer to the cenotes. I have made numerous dives of Tulum's coast and I was not impressed. Cloudy viz over coral bommies, not many schools of fish. I was happy to get back up to Playa and dive. :D

Tulum is less crowded than Playa, in the ocean you will probably only encounter the divers your diving with. Its a lot more chilled out. Dive sites are varied in depth and coral formations, less wildlife than Playa however. Playa also has stronger currents.
Tulum is central to all the cenotes. My personal favourite being Angelita

My thoughts are similar to the others, I enjoyed Tulum ocean diving, but it doesn't compare with either Playa or Coz. The exception are the ceynotes which are amazing. I also dove with Mayan Divers (on-site at Dreams) and they were excellent. Abyss Divers has a shop in Tulum which is also good. I dive with Abyss in Playa. Regardless, you'll have a nice trip. Ceynotes are chilly around 72 degrees in June. I wear a hood and a shorty and I am fine.

Peace out!

tulum is good for the cenotes, i dove with maya diving at the dreams resort, their great, i think the owner is canadian or something like that, the shore diving is pretty weak though, ill be going back in may but im gonna stay at the sunscape bc its closer to playa de carmen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom