Inexperience resulted in OOA at 66 feet (long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UDaMang

Registered
Reaction score
Let me start with the fact that I am a new diver, and I am loving Scubaboard for absorbing everything I can about this sport that has overtaken my life :07:

I wanted to share this scenario with other new divers on the board in hopes they don't make the same STUPID mistakes that my buddies and I made on a recent dive while on vaction.

My 2 dive buddies and I are very new to the world of Diving. We got our C-cards at the end of May in Tobermory, Ontario. We are all completely addicted, and have been diving as much as possible ever since. So here's what happened.

After logging 15 recreational dives in the Great Lakes on our own after our OW cert, we decided to go to Cuba in July for a week's diving vacation to see what the salt-water world had to offer.

On our first dive my buddies and I dove as a group of 3 on some small reef's surrounded by sand. What a difference from the Great Lakes, WOW! At 1500 psi we gave the DM the T signal. He acknowledged and we continued. As we dropped below 1000 psi my buddies and I started to wonder if we were going to start ascending soon as we were at 88 feet. When one of my buddies reached 750 psi we notified the DM and showed him the gauge. He reacted with an OK and motioned that we would be swimming a little more then ascending. Sure enough, we reach the ascent line shortly thereafter and do a slow ascent with a full safety stop. I ended up surfacing with 150 psi remaining, with each of us below 500 psi. This definitely goes against our training, and we all realized it an discussed it, but the conversation quickly turned to focus on the incredible sea life that we had all just witnessed for the first time! Mistake #1.

After a 3 hour SI we headed out for dive #2. A large tugboat wreck at 70 feet. Another incredible dive, but here's where the OOA happened. At 1500 psi we signaled T to the DM and he acknowledged. We continued to follow him and kept observing the wreck. As we dropped below 1000 psi my buddies and I kept showing each other our gauges. We were all concerned, but I think we all figured because of our experience on the first dive that the DM was heading back to the ascent line, so we just kept following the DM closely. Mistake #2.

I hit 500 psi first. I notified my buddies and swam quickly up to the DM. When I showed him my gauge I had 465 psi. He reacted with on OK and some signal similar to the previous dive, so I assumed he wanted me to follow him and that we would head to the line immediately. Perhaps I misread his signal, but he certainly did not give me ANYTHING CLOSE to the impression that I should ascend with my buddies on our own. There was defintely no :thumbs_up (not to mention we didn't know where the ascent line was). Mistake #3.

We proceeded to follow him closely and then he descended another 15 feet towards another 2 divers that were with our dive group who were checking out a lobster under the wreck. I assumed he was going to signal them to start to ascend. However, when he reached them, he proceeded to try and coax the lobster out from under the wreck. My buddies and I are all VERY concerned at this point as we are at 66 feet and I have 300 psi. At 260 psi I can't take it anymore. I swim quickly towards the DM and grab him to show him my gauge. He OK's and he proceeds to head to the other side of the wreck. Thankfully, after a short swim I see the ascent line about 40 feet away. That's when I realize that the breath I am taking from my reg at that moment is harder to pull. Uh-oh. Sure enough, I try to take another breath and there is nothing - OMG!! At this point I am 15 feet from the ascent line and the DM has just reached it. My buddies are close behind me, but with the momentum I have going - the DM is a quicker air source. I am flying obviously at this point - he turns towards me when he gets to the line, I am screaming towards him giving the out of air signal. He immediately grabs his octo and has it out waiting for me by the time I arrive. I grab the octo and take the most rewarding breath of air in my life!

My buddies arrive at the line and we all begin our ascent. At around 40 feet one of my buddies breathes his tank dry and has to share with our other buddy! We proceed with a full safety stop and begin slowly ascending to the surface. At 10 feet I realize that the DM's tank has just given it's last breath! He hands me my reg back and tells me to breathe. Sure enough there is a breath in there and we make it to the surface with my buddies right behind us - everyone is OK. We proceed to the boat and the rest of the group surfaces shortly thereafter and we head back to shore. OK - that was definitely NOT cool and the three of us begin to debrief on the whole situation. (We still discuss it every time we get together) I do believe the DM was a factor in this, but ultimately it was our inexperience that led to this incident and I take full responsibility for that.

Lessons learned:
1. Don't rely on the DM or guide - Always take a bearing and be VERY aware of where the ascent line is on any dive that is new to you - we were too overwhelmed with excitement and the scenery to pay attention to where the line was - we were relying on the DM.
2. It doesn't matter what rules the DM/guide or the group use for air consumption - you and your buddies dive by your rules and as you were instructed - in our case - 1500 psi is turn-around with ascent beginning by at least 1000 and 500 remaining at the surface.
3. Inexperience = Inexperience. You can have the best instruction and have great dive skills - it won't necessarily prevent a situation that inexperience brings you into. However - it does teach you how to deal with it. Read everything you can and learn as much from other divers as possible.
4. Hindsight being 20/20, I am actually glad this experience happend for a couple of reasons:
A. It will NEVER happen again:icon4:
B. The realization that our training was invaluable. All of us kept calm during the incident and (imho) reacted exactly as we were instructed - which upon until then was pure theory and skills practice. I attribute this 100% to good instruction during our OW course.

That being said, we had a fantastic week diving in Cuba with a total of 8 dives. We have all since completed our AOW and our Deep Diver Specialty and I'm up to 35 dives. Winter's coming in the not too distant future so I'm off to research drysuit's :)

Comments and criticism's from the wealth of diver knowledge on this board welcomed.

Hi,
I see you made it out safe and good with two courses done. It's great and i understand the feeling of NOT diving in Canadian waters. It's so much warmer and we react better. I had an discussion whereby Mr Adams merely thought diving in Canadian waters does not necessarily make us better divers.

1. For sure, dive instructions received were probably the ONE thing that kept you calm. We Always remember to watch our gauges and we followed safety protocols to the letter. I was diving in Australia and felt OW divers trained there at least my buddy are not keen on issues like gauges, buddy signals etc..

I think all of you handled it well becuz of good instructors that emphasize safety throughout your OW.

2. I think we must emphasise fish chasing IS an extremely dangerous activity :wink: becuz it always make divers forget their air supply and get so so carried away.

3. I think it was more fun doing courses elsewhere in warmer waters at least for me cuz it makes diving so much more fun.

4. I don't really feel diving in cold waters fun now.

I was actually thinking of doing the Wreck specialty in Great lakes of Ont. Any dive shops doing that over there??? Recommendations..

Cheers to the cold winter again

Wow! Good story telling of a rough situation. Glad you came out of it safe and wiser.

I don't know what the Cuban operators are like, as we're still not allowed there. Something to do with the Nukes they had aimed at us for a while in the 1960s. But not all Dive Guides in the Carribean are real DMs, and even at that - while he may be a professional, we are each ultimately responsible for our own dives.

A couple of other ideas...

(1) When you need to go up, give the Thumbs Up signal yourself until you get the okay; and

(2) When you're out of air, don't wait for a handoff - grab the auxially reg! He'll understand.

Thanks for sharing with us. This is what helps saves lives around here.

I had a similar experience with a dive shop and dm out of barbados. The dm said in the briefing to give 1000 and 750 psi warnings to her. I did...nothing happened as a result except the dive went on. When I reached 450 psi ...I got the dm's attention and signaled i was going up...and waved goodbye. When I hit the surface after my safety stop I took two breaths and the tank went dry. I will never get that low again before surfacing.

Now on trips, when the dm gives the briefing and says when to give psi warnings, I ask what will be the result? And, I make it clear...at 750 I am coming up...the dm can do what he or she wants. Just because they are a "dm" doesnt mean they know what they are doing.

yikes...

you should read up on "rock bottom" pressures right now. you should *always* make sure that you've got enough gas to get up from your depth with you can your buddy breathing heavy off of your tank and still make your stops. that means that you compute an ascent from your depth with a surface RMV of 2.0 cuft/min with 1 minute spent on the bottom to 'fix' the problem, a 30 ft/min ascent rate, and your normal safety stop.

for an AL80 the rock bottom pressures should be around:

30 ft - 700 psi
70 ft - 1000 psi
100 ft - 1300 psi
130 ft - 1800 psi

when you hit that pressure you should be ascending. you should give the thumb to your buddy and start going up. if your DM doesn't want to come up with you, you should leave them behind. practice free ascents with safety stops.

if you're going down an anchor line, swimming out, turning and coming back, you should be diving 'halves' where your turn pressure is going to be half of your pressure with rock bottom subtracted off. that means that for 70 ft on a 3000 psi AL80 you need to turn at 2000 psi and should give the 'return to the upline' sign (arrow with thumb and forefinger pointing at upline). both the thumb up and the thumb to upline signs are not questions, they're statements.

what would have happened if one of you would have had a free flow or other accident that caused them to lose all their air at that depth? you didn't have enough gas to get all of you back up as it was. you would have had a serious problem if you had an accident that caused you to lose gas.

What did the DM have to say about it after these dives?

We as divers are responsible for our own safety. When it's time to go up don't wait for permission. If the anchor line is not in sight and you're not sure where it is don't waste time looking for it, you may be swimming further away. Do a free ascent to 15 ft, do your safety stop and surface. If the boat is more than a short swim take a bearing on the boat, pop back down to 15 ft and swim underwater back to the boat. Now, you've just did an extended safety stop while making your way back.

A wreck dive is pretty much a no brainer. You know which end of the wreck you came down on so when it's time start heading back to the anchor line. If possible swim back at a shallower depth making a multilevel dive out of it. Again, don't wait for permission.

You should always make your dives multilevel when ever possible to extend bottom times and NDLs, and to conserve air.

"GREAT" job on keeping your cool and not bolting for the surface when you were OOA.

Whereabouts in Cuba did you dive? Something similar happened to me about 15 months ago.

This happened to my son and I in maui about 2 years ago.we were both un-certified and dove on a "resort card" (a brief open water course.) as instructed, my son(who also has asthma) advised D.M. at 500psi. He gave o.k. sign.15 min later on anchor line up i turn around and see him buddy breathing with d.m. ( I was o.k. with 125 psi) my mother in law freaked!! she is certified,and was with us. After her reaction to the whole episode, I decided to get certified, thank god. To think we didn't know better!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom