BP/W Whats so special?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All,

Although I just completed my OW cert, I have been lurking these forums for quite some time.
It seems that there almost a religious fanaticism when it comes to people talking about BP/W's. Most comments are along the lines of "I originally bought a jacket BC, but now that I have a BP/W... I wish I bought a BP/W first." I don't think I have ever read a post where someone stated that they hate a BP/W.

Cans someone (in simple newbie terms) explain how a BP/W differs from a jacket BC and why someone should consider purchasing one?

just_a_regulator_guy:
Cans someone (in simple newbie terms) explain how a BP/W differs from a jacket BC and why someone should consider purchasing one?
A BP/W is for people who don't have good enough buoyancy to stay horizontal in a standard jacket type BCD. :wink:

:popcorn:

Bubble Junky:
A BP/W is for people who don't have good enough buoyancy to stay horizontal in a standard jacket type BCD. :wink:

:popcorn:

Yes, a BP/W is a crutch that makes diving far too easy and comfortable. It's mainly for the lazy.

just_a_regulator_guy:
Hi All,

A jacket style BC is most probably what you learned to dive in. It has those larger side flaps (for the lack of a better word) that tend to squeeze you when inflating. The buoyancy cells for these BC's can be on the back, the shoulder, waist and combinations of these. There are more and more BC's that have a 'backinflate' cell nowadays.

A BP/Wing has a harness attached to a steel or aluminium plate. You then bolt the buoyancy cell to that plate. This give lift exclusively on your back. There are no side flaps, no pockets. But you can get attachable pockets etc.

The BP/wing is most often used in technical diving. The harness is very strong and that helps with all the equipment one sometimes needs to carry. Because there is little or no excess, the BP/wing combination is very well placed in cave and wreck diving. On top of that one can change cells based on needs. There are single tank cells, double tank cells varying in lift.

The jacket BC is a standard and well designed BC, there is nothing wrong with it. Different BC's for different applications, that's all.

OK, here is my opinion. First, I would agree with you in that too have never heard anybody that went to a bp/w and then wanted to go back.

I myself was a skeptic about the whole bp/w thing when I started diving. I had about 40-50 dives under my belt before I really took a serious look at one, and will never look back.

Here are +s on bp/w
-easier to trim
-less drag
-better buoyancy
-smaller to pack
-unparalleled feeling of freedom in the water (snorkeling and freediving aside)
-no shortage of attachment points
-infinite adjustability and fine-tuneability (my word)
-reduces weight requirements
-modular (easy to replace parts versus the whole thing if there is a major problem)
-very versatile. For example; I dive single tanks and double for tech diving. I only require two wings versus two complete rigs. I simply had to buy a doubles wing and now I take off two wing nuts to move my bp (which is already adjusted exactly to me) to my single wing and sta or to my doubles wing and tanks.

(-)s for bp/w
-cost (depending on the brand)

Ok, that is really the only con I have come up with thus far.

Everybody is different though, and I would highly suggest that you try one out first, if you have the opportunity. I did and it took me 2 seconds. One second to step out from the side of the pool and another second to hit the water. There was no comparison. You just have to dive one to experience it for yourself. I am one you speak of in that if I had only known my first BC wouldn't have been a jacket bc. I could have saved my self some money.

just_a_regulator_guy:
Hi All,

A jacket wraps around you, the bp wing has all the air in the wing on your back. A bp harness is adjustable. Jackets come in small, med, large, so you need to get lucky on the sizing. I used a jacket for a long time. I joined SB and read all the hype and changed for one reason. My body is "leg heavy" and using a jacket and weight belt, I would float vertical when relaxing in the water. By putting the weight higher on my back with a stainless steel, 6 lb plate for the wing mounting, I know float horizontal. My daughter was the opposite though. She was leg light so my rig would make her float upside down. If you can try out a lot of rigs and see what you like.

Thanks Meng_Tze!

It sounds as if the BP/W is more versatile and configurable then a jacket BC.
From what you are saying it sounds as if a person could buy a BP/W and then buy different options/attachments as their diving needs change. Is this correct?

A BP/W is probably the most flexible tool you could find for diving, can fit you when you gain weight, loose weight, whatever suit you have, etc.
It will grow with you, for whatever diving you do, or will do in the future

... you might end up getting a lighter alum plate if you go off on warm water vacations

and I have seen that some dedicated photogs prefer a jacket style BC

I tried one at a Dive Rite demo, and it is definately a different feeling! I first tried a TransPACK which is a the same general idea as a bp/w but no plate, and it was like diving naked as far as what was on my back. Then I tried the TransPLATE, and it was definately the best of both worlds. The TransPACK but with added stability.

I'm not going to rush out and buy one, but when it IS time to upgrade, I'm definately considering it. I think your attitude/trim is easier to dial in with them...Just by slapping on a tank and putting my normal weights on it, I was pretty trim in the water with very little adjustment.

As a new diver, I definately would give a few different things a try before committing to a purchase. I tried a bunch, and picked a great BC (Aeris Atmos XT) and have had great luck with it.

The best thing about the BP/w's are that you can configure them any way you want, and you're not locked into a specific style.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom