Is Japan Catching up to America in Crazy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
BBC World Service

Woman in jail over virtual murder

The online game Maplestory has gained in popularity around the world
A woman has been arrested in Japan after she allegedly killed her virtual husband in a popular video game.

The 43-year-old was reportedly furious at finding herself suddenly divorced in the online game Maplestory.

Police say she illegally accessed log-in details of the man playing her husband, and killed off his character.

The woman, a piano teacher, is in jail in Sapporo waiting to learn if she faces charges of illegally accessing a computer and manipulating data.

She was arrested on Wednesday and taken 620 miles (1,000 km) from her home in southern Miyazaki to Sapporo - where her "husband", a 33-year-old office worker lives.

If charged with the offences, and convicted, she faces up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000.

'So angry'

A Sapporo police official, according to the Associated Press news agency, said the woman had used the man's ID and password to log in to the game last May to carry out the virtual murder.

"I was suddenly divorced, without a word of warning. That made me so angry," she was quoted by the official as telling investigators.

Maplestory is a Korean-made game, which has grown in popularity around the world but has a strong fan base in the Far East.

The game centres on defeating monsters, but players can also engage in social activities and relationships - including marriages - through their digital characters, called avatars.

As of last year they have passed some new "privacy laws" here which they are taking quite seriously. Ironically enough, when a REAL murderer was captured last year after stalking and murdering an English teacher from Great Britain, he somehow managed to escape from police custody (damn, have to lock the car when the suspect is in there) and is still at large. There hasn't exactly been a big manhunt over it either.
The police here are big-time feminine genitalia. Saw some African kid push a cop (5 years/US) then slap the cop (5 years + beating/US) after dumping his drugs in a nearby garbage can. The three cops managed to finally subdue him (with his consent) and said kid was out (no doubt with his drugs back in hand) standing around the same place two hours later. Without even a bruise to show for it.
I guess this kind of crime is the only one police here feel capable of solving. 43 year old woman? I think a Japanese SWAT team might be able to take her down.
:wink: love to all

As of last year they have passed some new "privacy laws" here which they are taking quite seriously. Ironically enough, when a REAL murderer was captured last year after stalking and murdering an English teacher from Great Britain, he somehow managed to escape from police custody (damn, have to lock the car when the suspect is in there) and is still at large. There hasn't exactly been a big manhunt over it either.
The police here are big-time feminine genitalia. Saw some African kid push a cop (5 years/US) then slap the cop (5 years + beating/US) after dumping his drugs in a nearby garbage can. The three cops managed to finally subdue him (with his consent) and said kid was out (no doubt with his drugs back in hand) standing around the same place two hours later. Without even a bruise to show for it.
I guess this kind of crime is the only one police here feel capable of solving. 43 year old woman? I think a Japanese SWAT team might be able to take her down.
:wink: love to all

I understand but what gets me is her reason for committing a crime...A GAME!.
Now if she hacked into the system for monetary gain/get information on a real life cheating spouse etc I could understand that, no less of a crime but the reason makes more sense.

People, in general, are pretty tightly wound here.

People, in general, are pretty tightly wound here.

You have opend my eyes. I always thought the average person in Japan was extremely obedient to the laws, calm and it would take a lot to ruffle there feathers, not getting up tight about trivial stuff.

Not that I think her reaction was normal, but one potential explanation for her anger level would be the public humiliation of her "divorce." I can see that being a cultural button-pusher.

Rather than jail time, I hope the courts could find something constructive for her to do that would help her find a real life.

Not that I think her reaction was normal, but one potential explanation for her anger level would be the public humiliation of her "divorce." I can see that being a cultural button-pusher.

Rather than jail time, I hope the courts could find something constructive for her to do that would help her find a real life.

I had assumed when playing this game one used a screen name?

Yes I agree I don't think a fine/jail would be the way to go. Maybe seeing a shrink and a ban from the Internet, learn what is real and what is not.

I had assumed when playing this game one used a screen name?

Yes I agree I don't think a fine/jail would be the way to go. Maybe seeing a shrink and a ban from the Internet, learn what is real and what is not.

A screen name... rather like scuba board? :wink:

I meant the public humiliation of her "e-persona" -- obviously, she was taking this false reality way too seriously. I hope she gets the help she needs.

Well she did keep the 'murder' within the confines of the game which is where the 'divorce' took place.

I should think that she was just a winker, dude had had outside contact with her hoping that she was a hotty, said dude was disappointed in her as she didn't meet his standard of hottitude so e-dumped her, she got PO'd and killed his character

Back
Top Bottom