Hydrocoral in Carmel Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sffrenchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Divers:

On a recent dive two weeks ago at the great pinnacle in Point Lobos, I noticed that the hydrocoral was covered with what seemed to be algae and appeared dead (it had lost its beautiful color). I noticed the same thing again this weekend at South Monastery.

Has anyone else noticed that? Is this due to the warmer water temperatures due to El Nino?

Thanks

Last edited:
Are you sure that it was really Hydro Coral? There's some algae that looks like Hydro Coral but is usually a bit shallower and has a brown/faded colors... I'll try to find some pictures to post.

What I saw at Monastery looks exactly like Heterospora pacifica. I am not so sure about what I saw at the Great Pinnacle since I do not recall the lighter colored tips but it may well have been the same thing.

Thanks for this useful information.

I've been frequenting the various areas a lot and have noticed no deterioration, but I'll keep an eye out! I'll go to some of my favorite areas where I know some beautiful crops of purple hydrocoral exists and check on them!

Haven't noticed anything with the local hydrocoral. There are a number of bryozoans that have a similar branching morphology to hydrocoral but which are different colors (usually more brown or orange than pink or red). The bryozoans grow faster and also occasionally disappear temporarily from some locations so it isn't so unusual to see colonies that are being overrun with other things.

Clinton

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom