Where to dive in late March for must-see PI experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outpost31

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I'm a single, AOW diver, 100+ dives, looking to dive on a budget in 2 places, possibly 3 if they're close/cheap to travel to, and I'm looking for must-see suggestions based on my needs:

My priority is photography and I'm looking to see:
1) Thresher sharks, Whale Sharks, Manta if possible and any other big stuff like Dugongs?
2) Lots of Nudis and other small stuff
3) Mandarin fish

Dives: I'd like to get at least 20 dives in, thinking of 7-10 days there?
Accom: Cheap and safe, just a place to sleep and eat.
Nightlife: Not interested in partying, prefer quieter places to have a few beers

I'm looking for a suggested itinerary with advice on which order I should travel to these places.
I know Malapascua has the Threshers/Donsol for WS but I would also like to know how long I should give at those places, as that's what I want to see the most, and what other dives sites are available while I'm there in case of disappointment.
Any info of travelling logistics, who to dive with, must-see sites, places to eat, drying out must-sees, things to avoid/know would be much appreciated!

Many Thanks Guys!

Padre Burgos in Southern Leyte will offer just about everything you're looking for. Pristine reefs with amazing macro, whale sharks, very quiet even over Easter, budget as well as top end accommodation. Napantao wall and the night dive at the town pier are 'must dos'.

Thanks Wannadive64, I'll have a look into Padre Burgos, Cheers!

I'm in Malapascua right now and thresher shark sightings have been better than any other time I've been there. On both dives I've done at Monad we had threshers almost the whole dive..even had one breaching today. Logistically why not do Oslob rather than Donsol for whale sharks..at Oslob you can dive instead of just snorkle like at Donsol, and that keeps you on the island of Cebu with the little time you have. For another add on great for macro, nudis, mandarins I'd do Dumaguete..just across the water from Oslob...you could even base yourself in Dumaguete actually and take in the Oslob whale sharks from there.

Thanks ocdiver! I would prefer to dive as I've snorkelled with them before @Ningaloo and diving would give me better photos I think. I'll check out Oslob/Dumaguete as cutting down on travelling would be better. Good tip!

Great that you had so many Threshers! I take it you did two early morning dives there. Who did you dive with? What was your sightings like?

Malapascua + Southern Leyte(Padres Bugos).
Travelling between these two places is NOT that straight forward.

There is a slow overnight ferry(6 hrs) from Maasin( an hr from Padres Bugos) to Cebu. This might be better than travelling all the way to Ormoc(3-4hrs) and then to Cebu(3hrs).

Last edited:
+1 for Malapascua and Padre Burgos.

The whale sharks in Sogod Bay are not artificially fed like they are at Oslob so you don't get the zoo aspect there that is so prominent a feature of the interaction at Oslob, and the water is clearer than at Donsol, where anyway only snorkeling is permitted.

Give yourself a whole day for travel between Malapascua and Southern Leyte.

Malapascua and Dauin - 4 days at each with time for travel and off gassing/a day at Oslob...

I recommend Liquid in Dauin and erm....Evolution :)

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks ocdiver! I would prefer to dive as I've snorkelled with them before @Ningaloo and diving would give me better photos I think. I'll check out Oslob/Dumaguete as cutting down on travelling would be better. Good tip!

Great that you had so many Threshers! I take it you did two early morning dives there. Who did you dive with? What was your sightings like?

I'm diving and staying with Evolution, who'd I really recommend. They only do one tank trips and yes, its early! Leave 5 am and you're in the water at daybreak. One dive we had at least one (and up to three) threshers close by the whole dive, and even saw one from a distance breaching today. Better sightings than I've had any prior trip..you'll love it.

Sogod Bay is my next stop and actually I believe there you can only snorkle with whale sharks, not dive, just like in Donsol. I'm like you..I've snorkelled with them a number of times...very cool, but especially for photos I want to dive with them only at this point. Only been lucky to catch a whale shark by chance on a dive just a couple of times.

It may depend on what resort/shop you're booked with whether they'll take scuba divers on whale shark trips. I know that at least one operator is pretty reluctant to offer whale shark dive trips, but there are others that do offer them. Who are you diving with there, ocd?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom