Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: PADI Junior Open Water Diver

Registered

Has not set a "status"

EEK PADI Junior Open Water Diver

I feel MISLED!

My whole life as an instructor I believed the depth limit for a PADI Junior Open Water diver aged between 12 and 14 was 12m/40ft! On a trip the other day I was speaking to a fellow instructor who challenged me to find that restriction anywhere in the PADI instructor manual. Well I could not, and have now lost an expensive bet.

I am probably the worst at this but I take fellow instructors word as law. I must of heard this particular rule somewhere in my early diving days, and trusting him/her, never bothered to check it up in my manual when I became an instructor myself.

I doubt I would be making such a big deal of this if I had not made a bet. I would have shrugged it off with a 'well fancy that' and replaced the lies with the truth.

I have found depth restrictions for certified Junior Open Water divers aged 10 and 11, but, please could someone tell me that my previous assumption on depth restrictions for 12-14 year old divers was right, and give me a sound reference for the law.

PLEASE!!!

MSDT

I am alive....

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by dujubber View Post
    I feel MISLED!

My whole life as an instructor I believed the depth limit for a PADI Junior Open Water diver aged between 12 and 14 was 12m/40ft! On a trip the other day I was speaking to a fellow instructor who challenged me to find that restriction anywhere in the PADI instructor manual. Well I could not, and have now lost an expensive bet.

I am probably the worst at this but I take fellow instructors word as law. I must of heard this particular rule somewhere in my early diving days, and trusting him/her, never bothered to check it up in my manual when I became an instructor myself.

I doubt I would be making such a big deal of this if I had not made a bet. I would have shrugged it off with a 'well fancy that' and replaced the lies with the truth.

I have found depth restrictions for certified Junior Open Water divers aged 10 and 11, but, please could someone tell me that my previous assumption on depth restrictions for 12-14 year old divers was right, and give me a sound reference for the law.

PLEASE!!!
    Um... sorry I also thought the same as you did.

Though I found this.. 10/11 year old is to 36 feet, 12 to 14 year olds 63 feet.

New news to me.

£375

Course Dates

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the age of 10 years the kids can participate in the full Certificated Open Water course

Which consists of the same as the adult

5 theory modules. (Knowledge Reviews) in the classroom

5 confined /pool water modules in the pool

4 Open Water Dives

After the course is complete 10 to 11 olds must ONLY dive with a qualified parent, guardian or a PADI professional with a maximum depth limit of 12 metres.12 to 14 olds maximum 21 meters

NO HIDDEN EXTRAS!!

ALL study materials and certification is included in the course price, as is the equipment hire

They will receive a logbook and certification card

Price includes Equipment Hire
    SOLO-DIVER, PHOTOGRAPHER

jimernstphotography.com

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    0 - 24
    Photos
    this is from the padi web site

Bubblemaker (ages 8+)

This is a good way for children to experience scuba diving in the pool in less than six feet of water. Celebrate a birthday by throwing a memorable, exciting Bubblemaker party with friends at your local PADI dive shop or resort.

Seal Team (ages 8+)
    The PADI Seal Team is for young divers who are looking for action-packed fun in a pool by doing exciting scuba AquaMissions. Divers are introduced to underwater photography, navigation, environmental awareness and more.

Junior Open Water Diver (ages 10-14)
    Young people can take the full PADI Open Water Diver scuba certification course and upon completion will become Junior Open Water Divers with certain age limitations for scuba diving:

Junior Open Water Divers ages 10-11 years old must dive with a PADI Professional or certified parent/guardian. Dives must not exceed 12 metres /40 feet.
    Junior Open Water Divers ages 12-14 years old must dive with a certified adult. (13+ years old can take the Open Water Diver course online.
    Junior Advanced Open Water Diver(ages 12-14)
    Young people can continue the adventure and build their skills by taking the Advanced Open Water Diver course with a few limitations

Junior Open Water Divers ages 10-11 years must complete three adventure dives to become a Junior Adventure Diver. They must dive with a PADI Professional or certified parent/guardian. Dives must not exceed 12 metres/ 40 feet
    Junior Open Water Divers ages 12-14 years may complete three Adventure Dives to earn the Junior Adventure Diver rating or five Adventure Dives to earn the Junior Advanced Open Water rating They must dive with a certified adult.
    Junior Rescue Diver (ages 12-14)
    Young divers ages 12-14 rise to challenges and learn how to master them in the PADI Rescue Diver course. Upon completion, they become Junior Rescue Divers. They must dive with a certified adult.

Junior Master Scuba Diver (ages 12-14)
    Young divers ages 12-14 can continue building experience and exploring unique diving environments on their way to the Master Scuba Diver Rating. They must dive with a certified adult.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    this info i credit to Mark C @ yorkshire divers forums
    Junior Open Water Diver (ages 10-14)

Young people can take the full PADI Open Water Diver scuba certification course and upon completion will become Junior Open Water Divers with certain age limitations for scuba diving:

* Junior Open Water Divers ages 10-11 years old must dive with a PADI Professional or certified parent/guardian. Dives must not exceed 12 metres /40 feet.
    * Junior Open Water Divers ages 12-14 years old must dive with a certified adult. (13+ years old can take the Open Water Diver course online.

PADI Junior Adventure Diver and PADI Junior Open Water DiverJunior Advanced Open Water Diver(ages 12-14)

Young people can continue the adventure and build their skills by taking the Advanced Open Water Diver course with a few limitations

* Junior Open Water Divers ages 10-11 years must complete three adventure dives to become a Junior Adventure Diver. They must dive with a PADI Professional or certified parent/guardian. Dives must not exceed 12 metres/ 40 feet
    * Junior Open Water Divers ages 12-14 years may complete three Adventure Dives to earn the Junior Adventure Diver rating or five Adventure Dives to earn the Junior Advanced Open Water rating They must dive with a certified adult.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    For a junior Open Water Diver aged 10 & 11 years old, the max depth is 40ft - 12 meters!
    The junior diver must then dive onty with a Professional Diver!

For a Junior Advanced Open Water Diver age 12 - 14 years old, the deepest dive he may dive to is a max depth of 70ft - 21meters!
    The junior Diver must then dive with a certified adult!

I can find nothing that states that a diver over the age of 12 can go deeper than 40ft - 12 meters!
    Check us out at www.cambridgedive.com. e mail. dvgensan@yahoo.com.ph and cambridgedive@gmail.com
    KILL THE CROWN OF THORNS! THINK GREEN< SAY NO TO COAL!

SEI/CMAS Instructor Trainer

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by dujubber
    My whole life as an instructor......I am probably the worst at this but I take fellow instructors word as law.
    I find it disturbing that you, as an instructor, haven't read the standards.
    The Devil's in the details.

Disclaimer: All discussion of value, by me or anyone else, is opinion.

For a comprehensive approach to diving education, check out Scuba Educators International (SEI) Diving.

He Who Glows in the Dark Waters (ADVISOR)

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    "On a trip the other day I was speaking to a fellow instructor who challenged me to find that restriction anywhere in the PADI instructor manual. Well I could not, and have now lost an expensive bet."

From the statement of the OP, I must conclude that he did read the standards in order to provide and answer to the question.

the K
    Long after man is gone and his dams burst, the rivers will, once again, flow freely to the sea.

Scuba Instructor

has a little status

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    "On a trip the other day I was speaking to a fellow instructor who challenged me to find that restriction anywhere in the PADI instructor manual. Well I could not, and have now lost an expensive bet."

From the statement of the OP, I must conclude that he did read the standards in order to provide and answer to the question.

the K
    Shouldn't he have read the standards right before or around the time he became an instructor as opposed to later - to verify that what he had been told about them was untrue?
    Steve

SEI/CMAS Instructor Trainer

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken
    Excellent point. I'll rephrase.

I find it disturbing that you, as an instructor, don't know the standards from having read them and have instead been relying on hearsay.

It's a matter of when he finally got around to reading them.
    The Devil's in the details.

Disclaimer: All discussion of value, by me or anyone else, is opinion.

For a comprehensive approach to diving education, check out Scuba Educators International (SEI) Diving.

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    [QUOTE=dujubber;4313540]I feel MISLED!

Maybe you should rethink the idea of taking everyone's word as "law". You should maybe also brush up on agency standards and procedures
    Scott

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast