what can be considered a loggable dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eth727

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I should know this since I'm taking a DM class at the moment but can I log any of my confined pool dives towards the 60 dives needed to complete the course?

A dive is a dive and a pool session a pool session. I couldn't bring myself to log the Rescue Course as even 1 dive, even though PADI allow you to log something rediculous like 5 dives for the course. I suppose one shouldn't be too hung up on absolute number of dives rather than experience in general. 1000 pool sessions will not make anyone a decent open water diver. I am sure there is some definition somewhere, but I would have thought > 10 meters for > 20 minutes or something along those lines. It sort of defeats the purpose, imagine doing 3 20minute dives on a single tank with 5 or 10 minutes surface interval just to pump up the numbers??
Gosh 4 OW dives, 5 adventure dives, 5 for rescue course, have you had any fun dives yet?

I wouldn't include confined water dives (anything in a pool) in the OW dive count. AFAIK, the DM requirement is at least 60 OW dives.

Of course, log any dive that you think might provide useful info for the future. For instance, I included write-ups for my pool dives during Rescue class, but I didn't include those dives in my lifetime dive count.

You can count any OW dives done at La Jolla Shores or La Jolla Cove...even the relatively shallow ones (20-30 fsw). I think PADI might have some specific guidelines such as at least 20 fsw for 20 min. or something like that...but it really should not make much difference. It will take you some time to complete all the requirements for the DM course. In that time, you'll be doing a lot of dives. You should easily exceed the 60 dive minimum.

What's the name of the instructor doing your DM training? (Just curious.)

I know one "DM" candidate who logged three 2 minute dives during a rescue course. His logic was if his computer counted it so did he. And people wonder why shops think it's ok not to pay DM's. When they are of that caliber they should not be paid.

If I'm down 15-20 feet for 15-20 mins. in 35F or less water wet, I count that due to being the only winter option besides a trip, and because of the occasional torture factor. No pool dives,nooooooooo. But it's OK to tell students they're real dives-could help their confidence.
That's just what I do, though.

I was told that any time spent underwater breathing compressed air in open water would count as a dive.

eth727 -- You've signed up for the DM program -- OK, ask yourself, Would YOU, as a new diver, want to rely on the experiences and training that YOU now have? Yes, you have some dive experience and you are in a class and you know you need some minimum number of dives to get the card. Well, do you want to just have the minimum?

Go do some diving -- some REAL diving -- have some experiences and while you are at it, work on your DM -- watch and work with a lot of classes -- BUT go do some diving. Your future students will be the better for it.

BTW -- If I were your instructor, I would NOT count pool dives, nor any dive that was less than 20 minutes and less than a 20 foot avg depth as a dive that counted towards the minimum.

Here is the description of an "Open Water Dive" in the new PADI Instructor Manual:

During open water dives, have divers spend the majority of time at 5 metres/15 feet or greater, and breathe at least 1400 litres or 50 cubic feet of compressed gas or remain submerged for at least 20 minutes.

I should know this since I'm taking a DM class at the moment but can I log any of my confined pool dives towards the 60 dives needed to complete the course?

No.

Generally different agencies have different requirements as to how long and how deep the dive should be (usually 20mins at 5m). I once dived with a guy who needed dives for his DM so he would surface every 20mins (we were in 5m of water) so his computer reset then descend again. Lame.

If you are struggling to get 60 OW dives, and are considering logging pool dives, perhaps you should wait longer before becoming a DM?

I haven't checked PADI standards recently, but it used to be something like 5 meters min and 20 minutes minimum. The time requirement was waived if it was water below a certain temp (forget how cold since I'll never be in that), then you have to breathe a certain amount of air to qualify (I forget, it might have been 1 or 2K psi).

Since the new rescue program came out, I'm totally out of touch with how much those "scenarios" credit toward dive count.

I don't think any pool dives count, although some time back, PADI did endorse one (and only one) pool that could count as open water dives. I think it was some 40 or meter mega pool in Europe or Eastern Europe. I believe that was announced a handful of years ago.

Last edited:
No.

Generally different agencies have different requirements as to how long and how deep the dive should be (usually 20mins at 5m). I once dived with a guy who needed dives for his DM so he would surface every 20mins (we were in 5m of water) so his computer reset then descend again. Lame.
I think PADI standards require a 10 minute surface interval for the second descent to be considered a separate dive...(I could be mistaken on the time...it might be 15...)

Back
Top Bottom