Sudan -Deep South or North

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liberty01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I did safaris in Sudan in 2008 and 2009, both to the North and South, but not the very Deep South. To me, the North was better for hammerheads, but the biggest school of hammerheads was in Jumna (well beow 50m).

Planing a 2-week-trip around Easter, I wonder whether the hammerheads are still there. Are there a lot more divers nowadays?

2-week-Trips are offered to the Deep South only. It is claimed that in the Deep South, there are even more sharks. Alternativel, I could combine two 1-week-trips in the North, maybe Far North.

Has anyone been to Sudan recently, particularly to the Deep South and can comment on it?

Cheers,
Liberty

When would you say is the best time to dive in sudan and where ? Is liveaboard the only way ? And which companies would you recommend ?

Just got back from the Sudan aboard the Andromeda. Was supposed to be a 14 day, deep south tour. The first 5 nights were the deep south tour, then a crew member got sick (later heard it was kidney stones) so we headed back to Port Sudan. We made it to the farthest south point that was planned before turning around.

Then the passengers all agreed, after owner arm-twisting, to go north for the final week. Main rationale was the chance to see bigger stuff. Deep south water was 31, which was too warm for sharks. North was known to be cooler, about 29. Many passengers were already bored with the south so it didn't take much arm twisting.
Turns out there were no sharks or anything large up north. We had virtually no currents the entire time so that may be the reason.

For this trip, IMO, the South's corals, topography. and fish density were better. I quickly got bored with the poorer corals (still good though) and lower fish densities (except for a handful of dives). North had the potential to be much better due to big stuff and more fish, but it mostly didn't happen for us. Cruise Director said April/ May was best time for big stuff up north.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom