Maintaining your Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SGR Jeff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We all have our own reg and our own way we like to clean them after dives. Here are some tips that you might not thought of that will extend the life of your favorite reg. 10 Reg Tips

openingshot.jpg

Just a couple points.

During setup (step 5); I like to pressurize the system, turn the tank off, and watch the SPG for a few minutes to see that there are no leaks. Small leaks are often caused by a poor seal with the tank valve o-ring. It can often be fixed by turning the 1st stage a bit.

After use (before storage), I find a 20 minute soak to be too short to remove salt water from places like the HP hose to SPG connection and other unprotected threaded connections including many 1st stage body connections like the threaded ambient chamber and the yoke/din retainer. I like to soak for 6 to 12 hours to clean those connections (or do a clean FW dive).

I had trouble seeing the link for some reason:D.

Seriously though unless I'm on trip where I can't do it I like to hook the reg up to a small tank for a soak. I don't trust dust caps for soaking.

And as far as storage most every shop I;ve seen hangs regs up to keep them from getting tangled. If you've only got one or two coiling may be ok but I've got 9 and I'd soon run out of shelf space. I've not seen any regs damaged from hanging. Second stages are not that heavy and consoles and SPG's can be clipped to the hanger to take the weight of them off of the hose connections. Also I'd think hanging them would be more likely to discourage things from crawling in them.

On a side note. Looked at your site but not clear if these are independent reviews of gear you guys buy or are the items provided by the manufacturers. I'm hoping the former as opposed to the latter as that would seriously indicate to me unbiased reviews.

Was there a reg in the picture:idk:?

Hi Jim

All the reviews on Scuba Gear Reports are our own reviews and not paid for or nor are they submitted by the manufactorer. We ask the manufactorers to submit gear to us and with the knowledge that we will review and comment on everything we find, good or bad. We are truly the only unbiased, unpaid-for Scuba Gear Review company out there.

Along with our video reviews. We only do those on pieces of gear that we find really excel and are worth doing a video review of. They are not 60 Second Commercials that another company does.

If you have any questions about our reviews or review process please let us know.

Thanks
Jeff

Hi Jim

All the reviews on Scuba Gear Reports are our own reviews and not paid for or nor are they submitted by the manufactorer. We ask the manufactorers to submit gear to us and with the knowledge that we will review and comment on everything we find, good or bad. We are truly the only unbiased, unpaid-for Scuba Gear Review company out there.

Along with our video reviews. We only do those on pieces of gear that we find really excel and are worth doing a video review of. They are not 60 Second Commercials that another company does.

If you have any questions about our reviews or review process please let us know.

Thanks
Jeff

How much of your funding do you receive from your "sponsors" who are all scuba gear manufacturers? Do you also receive funding from the dive operators advertised in your travel directory?

It is difficult to accept that reviews are unbiased when they are funded by the manufacturers whose gear you are reviewing. Some might view your operation as just another, not so obvious, form of advertising.

I normally advise students not to completely submerge A-clamp regs in water. As there is much higher chance of seepage than with DIN. Other than that; 20 mins is a long time. I think I manage about 5 or none depending on how quickly I want to get to the bar.

The only funding we recieve from the manufacturers are in the form of them buying ad space on the side of the site. We have to cover our overhead and pay for boats to test the gear somehow. Its up to the mfg if they want to place an ad on our site. Obviously not all of them will want to do that if they recieved a bad review. We test the gear and review first and forefost. If one of the mfgs wants to pull their ad after we give a piece of gear a bad review, it is their choice but we stand behind all of our reviews.

The travel directory spots are paid for. We are not reviewing travel agencies or dive boats, so there is no conflict there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom