Scubapro S600 vs. Atomic ST1 or B2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbhouse2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been told the Atomics breath much better than the Scubapro in all positions, however, the Scubapro equipment is easier to service overseas when traveling. As cost is not the issue here, I'm looking for a new reg setup which I plan on using to teach with as well as travel with.
What are your thoughts?

Thank you, JB

I have two sets of SP MK25/S600's and two sets of Atomic ST1's. They breathe virtually identical. The reason that I have switched to Atomic is they are designed and manufactured to only require servicing every 300 dives or two years. With an ever expanding fleet of regs, it makes more sence to me to avoid unnecessary servicing, which is both costly and very inconveinent.

Last edited:
I've been told the Atomics breath much better than the Scubapro in all positions...

Who told you that? Someone working at a dive shop that sells atomic? I'd like to hear the 'reasoning' behind that statement, especially the idea that somehow the regs react differently to position changes.

Atomic was started by a couple of former scubapro engineers and the regs are of very similar designs. Atomics have some different details and fancy materials, but there's very little difference in the overall design between them and the MK25/S600.

I've been told the Atomics breath much better than the Scubapro in all positions, however, the Scubapro equipment is easier to service overseas when traveling. As cost is not the issue here, I'm looking for a new reg setup which I plan on using to teach with as well as travel with.
What are your thoughts?

Thank you, JB
How does having one leg longer than the other affect your finning?

I've never known an instructor that only had one regulator set; since cost isn't an issue, why not buy one of each and find out for yourself?

T2x, ST1 and B2 all use the same second stage is what I have been told (just have different logos and trim pieces)... The difference lies in their first stages.

Can't comment on ScubaPro.

And the only difference in the first stages is the materials they are made from T2x=Titanium,ST1= stainless steel, B2 chrome plated brass, Z2x=Zirconium plated brass.

Who told you that? Someone working at a dive shop that sells atomic? I'd like to hear the 'reasoning' behind that statement, especially the idea that somehow the regs react differently to position changes.

Atomic was started by a couple of former scubapro engineers and the regs are of very similar designs. Atomics have some different details and fancy materials, but there's very little difference in the overall design between them and the MK25/S600.

The first stages are virtually the same but the second stages are completely different.

Thanks for all the help! My next purchase will be my second setup so I was looking for the long term and I guess I should be investing in brands. When someone tells me something like (the Atomics breath better) I was skeptical so I reached out for some real world advice. The kicker is, the store I visited sold both Scubapro and Atomic.
It would appear the best advice is to purchase both and at some point I will. Thank you again for you help!

The first stages are virtually the same but the second stages are completely different.

Are you saying that atomic 2nd stages are completely different than the S600? How so, I thought they were both small barrel poppet regs with a very similar lever/poppet arrangement. They both have seat savers, although I think the atomics have a spring loaded orifice that retracts from the seat when the reg is not pressurized.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom