Curious Question - Why Buy New Regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lobbolt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello ScubaBoard,

I have a question out of curiosity: why would anyone ever buy NEW regulators, since the purchase doesn't seem to make as much financial sense as buying (depending on condition) used regulators.

Since, if a qualified technician can restore and service the regulator, it should be as good as new except for maybe cosmetic scratches, right?

This is my guess why new regulators are bought:
- Social status, kind of like buying new cars, buying for the prestige badge.
- Knowing the regulator's previous condition.

I bought brand new regulators 8 years ago :shakehead:. Now, it never seems to make much financial sense as buying used (depending on condition), but still under the regional dealer's sales network (therefore qualifying for free service, only parts are charged).

:confused::confused:

What's your take on this? Does it make financial sense to buy new regulators?

As soon as my instructor on my open water certification told me "If you are going to be sick, puke into your regulator..." I knew I was buying my own! Financial sense or not.

most manufacturers only extend the free parts to the first owner.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

For me, I shopped for used regs. The problem was most sellers who had gear I'd want to dive had too inflated of an opinion on the value of their equipment. By the time I serviced the equipment it'd be about the same price as new.

If I had weeks to spend looking for a reg then maybe I could have come across an awesome deal that made sense. ( Ironically a poster on this board advertised something on this board at an inflated price and weeks later came down to a realistic price. But by then, I'd already bought my new reg. )

I assure you don't buy new because I'm some super cool elite snobe who wants to own a status symbol.

I bought new ones: once I factored in a checkup or rebuild to the price of used ones, the difference was only minor. Add the warranty to that, and it made even less sense.

You may find on the low end the price of a new reg through an on-line or discount source is very competitive once you add in the cost of a full service needed for purchasing a used reg.

The next question after buying new vs used is why would the typical rec diver buy a premium vs a basic work horse? I am not saying there is not a difference or never a valid reason to spend big, but most divers at 100' will never notice it and way to often they get sucked into paying a premium for top shelf products because its 'life support gear' or 'free parts for life' or 'its adjustable'

The next question after buying new vs used is why would the typical rec diver buy a premium vs a basic work horse? I am not saying there is not a difference or never a valid reason to spend big, but most divers at 100' will never notice it and way to often they get sucked into paying a premium for top shelf products because its 'life support gear' or 'free parts for life' or 'its adjustable'

I went with the Hog D1. Great performance and great price. And I really appreciate their attitude regarding self service and open availability of parts.

Hello ScubaBoard,

I have a question out of curiosity: why would anyone ever buy NEW regulators, since the purchase doesn't seem to make as much financial sense as buying (depending on condition) used regulators.

Since, if a qualified technician can restore and service the regulator, it should be as good as new except for maybe cosmetic scratches, right?

My answer is that is absolutely does not make financial sense to buy new regulators, and while I bought my first reg new (right out of OW class) I would never do so again. Another factor you did not mention is that unlike some other gear, regulators have not really improved in decades.

People buy new regulators for who knows why, but certainly a contributing factor is fear of the unknown. If all divers really understood how regulators worked and could perform simple servicing and evaluation of them, used regs would be much more popular.

I bought most of my regs new but on a sale. If I bought used and had them serviced the price would be the same. Its quite easy to make a choice same money but its new instead of serviced.
I find that the used do get damaged. In many cases not by the diver but from overservicing. Regulator monkeys scratch critical parts, overtighten the connections etc etc. so buying a used reg is a game.

And after all companies do not produce used regs, they produce new regs. So at some point the reg has to be new. The less new regs are sold the higher the prices on the new reg and thus on the used regs. So the market sets the equlibrium.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom