Curious Question - Why Buy New Regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Over the years I have picked up two "new" regs, both were demos and at a reasonable price so I don't know if they are considered new.

I also have three working used reg sets, but I buy cheap so if it's shot I'm not out much. I don't need a reg so I can afford to be picky.

Bob
-------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

There are a number of really valid reasons to buy new or used. It depends on how much you utilize it, what you are buying, what you pay for it, what it costs to service it, and in some cases what you can resell it for.

This is my guess why new regulators are bought:
- Social status, kind of like buying new cars, buying for the prestige badge.
You hit the nail on the head there, pal. I spent a pile of cash on a fancy watch and bespoke shoes and suits, but nobody seemed to notice. It was only when I started wearing my brand-spanking-new Atomic M1 out to social functions that I got the attention a man in my position deserves.

:D

If you want a current production regulator, want a manufacturer's warranty, and you plan to have it serviced IAW the manufacturer's requirements; then it may be hard to reliably beat the price of a new regulator.

I only buy used regulators. I prefer older, out of production models over current models. I buy them fairly cheaply - about $30 per stage. I restore and service them myself. The initial restoration probably costs about $20 per stage on average. Subsequent service usually occurs with a 3 to 5 year interval and costs about $5 per stage on average. I see little value in a manufacturer's warranty, especially when you consider the cost of maintaining that warranty.

Which way should a diver go - figure out which group you fit in.

Also depends on how much you're shelling out in the first place.

Buying a new, state-of the-art (read untested in the real world) reg with all the bling is throwing money in to the wind IMO. On the other hand, buying a reg new, as opposed to a new reg is not a bad thing.

There can always be potential problems buying second hand if you don't know what to look out for. Most internet purchases will be sight-unseen and this can lead to problems and expensive replacement parts if the original owner didn't keep it in good nick. For example, the owner let a bit of salt or crud in to the first stage. Usually a $30 overhaul kit will be enough, but sometimes more expensive internal parts can be compromised.

I advise to buy new, but not the latest model. A good working model will still be sold years after it first came out.

And Scuba itself make financial sense? It's another hobby, just like golf, hunting, fishing, bicycles, motorcycles, and any other hobby. I buy new and used just because I want too.

If I looked at how much I have spent on scuba, boats, motorcycles, RC cars, guns (it's been 18 years since the last time I was hunting) and bicycles; I could have paid off my house within 5 years. Tell me which makes financial sense, having a hobby or paying of a home? I would pick a hobby because I don't make financial sense; I just make sure I am not in debt :rofl3:.

... and while I bought my first reg new (right out of OW class) I would never do so again...

I'm a slow learner, so it took me 2 tries... :)

Now that I know where to look, the 2nd hand market is so incredible that I can see no reason why I should buy new: slightly OT, but I got a Scubapro Glide BCD for my #1 son, VGC, for $20, and then a Classic for my #2 son, also VGC, for $50.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom