Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New DS4

Registered

Has not set a "status"

New DS4

I have a pair of new DS4s for my doubles they have a plastic and rubber handwheel on the DIN valve. I broke one of my handwheels on the 1st time using them. Looking at the design it is very flimsy and not a solid wheel like the Scuba Pro ones. I have wrote Apeks an email asking about replacment of the hand wheel with the older metal one. I have not yet heard a response.

If you purchase the same 1st stage anytime soon and it has the plastic rubber hand wheel, be very carful with it it will not take much to mess it up.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -George Orwell

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by sylvester
    I have wrote Apeks an email asking about replacment of the hand wheel with the older metal one. I have not yet heard a response.
    Please keep us posted.. Apparently this is new on all 2005 model DS-4s and I nearly bought a couple.

Exactly what were you doing when it broke? Was it cool/cold? Once fitted on the valve, does it seem like an impact could bust the handwheel off?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

I would like to know also as Apeks stuff is particularly made for the cold and should be better in that sense. The only thing that I can think of is over tightening. You would be better off going to your LDS as it would produce a quicker solution.
    TDI Adv. Nitrox & Deco
    PADI DM,
    EFR/DAN O2 Instructor
    Apeks, Sherwood, Aqualung & USD Technician

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by rescuediver009
    I would like to know also as Apeks stuff is particularly made for the cold and should be better in that sense. The only thing that I can think of is over tightening.

Their sealed systems are better suited to cold water, but the DIN screw handle is a separate subject unto itself.

Somehow, I just don't feel comfortable with the idea that you could over-tighten the DIN screw (by hand) and break it. Has anyone ever experienced breakage problems like this on 1'st stage DIN regs, plastic or metal?

DIR Practitioner

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Never seen or heared about it and I'm originaly from Germany where we didn't have anything else beside DIN (well, we had yoke but very few diver use them).
    Nevertheless, I've learned that nothing is impossible, I only may not have seen it yet
    Oren

Your Waterloo region DUI contact person but I'll talk to everyone, who wants to get into DUI and needs help.

Ontario Diving

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    Photos
    Thanks for posting this.

Recently, I purchased a DS4 that came with the plastic handwheel. I didn't like the look of it, so I replaced it with the "old" DIN conversion kit with metal handwheel, which I purchased from DiveINN. I hope Apeks re-thinks this new design.

Mike

Registered

Has not set a "status"

I am not sure that this is worldwide design change. It may only be in north america as Aqualung has recently done the same.
    TDI Adv. Nitrox & Deco
    PADI DM,
    EFR/DAN O2 Instructor
    Apeks, Sherwood, Aqualung & USD Technician

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by rescuediver009
    I am not sure that this is worldwide design change. It may only be in north america as Aqualung has recently done the same.
    That's possible, but why go through the expense of a new design change just for NA?

Registered

Photos
    That's too bad. I own two DS4's and a Zeagle look alike (I know the history). I've always liked the metal parts on the Apeks vs the Zeagle, but they breath the same. I'm disappointed that Aqua Lung is cheapening the Apeks line, US market or not. If it ain't broke, don't F' with it. I hope they change back before it's time to buy another one.

That being said, I haven't had a problem with the plastic wheel on the Zeagle. I use it on a deco bottle. I barely tighten it though. The o-ring does a good job of sealing it off.

Registered

Dive Technologist

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvester
    I have a pair of new DS4s for my doubles they have a plastic and rubber handwheel on the DIN valve. I broke one of my handwheels on the 1st time using them. Looking at the design it is very flimsy and not a solid wheel like the Scuba Pro ones. I have wrote Apeks an email asking about replacment of the hand wheel with the older metal one. I have not yet heard a response.

If you purchase the same 1st stage anytime soon and it has the plastic rubber hand wheel, be very carful with it it will not take much to mess it up.
    If you purchased these from an authorized dealer it should be covered under you warranty and ANY Aqualung/ APEKS dealer can replace it for you.

Check with the dealer you bought it from.

Regards,
    Joel Silverstein, VP COO

Tech Diving Limited - Everything Tech !

SDI/TDI Trimix Instructor Trainer # 125
    Need to Reach Me NOW ! - Cell / Text 928-230-3680

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast