Snorkeling photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave C

Contributor
Reaction score
To keep up the recent interest in true snorkeling on this forum (instead of free-diving), I thought I would post a sampling of the varous snorkeling photos I have taken. I have really gotten into this in the last several years, although I certainly don't have fancy equipment - just your run-of-the-mill point 'n shoots - and I don't know much about technical photography. One advantage to taking photos while snorkeling, especially in clear tropical waters, is that you can use available light and don't need expensive and bulky strobes.

I've recently put some of my best photos on flickr:
Snorkeling - a set on Flickr
My main photo site is Pbase, where there are a bunch more photos:
Dave_Clausen's Photo Galleries at pbase.com
For the best (and to my knowledge only) collection of snorkeling photos in general from many different people, there is a snorkeling "pool" on flickr:
Flickr: Snorkeling around the world
Right now there are a total of 5,577 photos on this pool. They vary in quality, but some are quite good.

I encourage other snorkelers to post any photos they have on this Scubaboard forum (Snorkeling/freediving). I don't know if there are too many snorkeling photographers out there, but it would be interesting to see other's photos.

Here are some my personal favorites of my snorkeling photos:

Spadefish at the Destin jetties, Destin Florida (Florida Panhandle)
3043278324_bb5286522b_o.jpg

Green sea turtle at Akumal, Yucatan, Mexico. (Note that there is a tag on the turtle's right front flipper.)
3140837890_d9dd441821_o.jpg

Blackbar soldierfish at Culebra Island, Puerto Rico. (This was taken with the camera's internal flash because the fish were inside a shaded overhang.)
3123895067_244656b786_o.jpg

Gray angelfish, Culebra Island, Puerto Rico
3123888703_1712895b98_o.jpg

Caribbean king crab on a sea fan, Cayos Cochinos, Honduras
3306283056_de34a6d648_o.jpg

Green moray, Cabo Pulmo, Baja California Sur, Mexico
3436435895_8cb662c0c1_o.jpg

Striped hermit crab in the shell of a lightening whelk, Destin jetties, Destin Florida
3722536187_ee36bc0a65_o.jpg

Pillar coral, Roatan, Honduras
3305453411_b2bfc24592_o.jpg

Stingray, Ambergris Cay, Belize
3193992316_f09f265655_o.jpg

Dave, those photos are beautiful. You've gotten around! There's some wonderful 3-D effects, like the stingray for example. I just arrived at work and this was a great start to the day.

Great shoots! What camera are you using? I am still looking to add one to my setup, as the memories with photos are priceless!

WOW, really great pictures!! Thanks for sharing!!

Nice shots! I also am interested in your choice of camera.

Amazing how snorkeling photos have so much better natural lighting than deeper shots isn't it?

Thanks everyone for the comments. Before 2007, I used an older Canon S30 3 mgp camera. Since then, I have been using a Canon A630 8 mgp. Photos #1, 2, 5, 8, and 9 above were taken with the 3 mgp camera; the others were from the newer camera. Although I got some good photos with the S30, there was definitely an improvement in quality with the newer camera, especially in terms of cropping. I use the regular Canon housings, which are much cheaper and less bulky than other housings such as Ikelite. One other thing I consider essential for snorkeling photography is a weight belt. Otherwise, you can't get down with the fish. Snorkeling photos from the surface looking down almost never turn out very good.

Striped hermit crab in the shell of a lightening whelk, Destin jetties, Destin Florida
Nice Photo. What camera are you using?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom