Swamper Bogrady Does NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bogrady

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok – It’s not as cool as Frank and Alan’s road trip to Belize, but this Swamper is in NY for some diving. This week, it’s the Queen of American lakes, Lake George, nestled on the east side of the 6 million acre Adirondack Park in upstate NY.

lake1.jpg

Arrived on Long Island (I’m a native) courtesy of Southwest on Tuesday afternoon. Thank heaven for their 3 checked bag policy since I had to pack all my cold water gear – Lake George is definitely drysuit diving. Left Long Island for the drive north at 6am. An hour later I was watching the NY City skyline recede in the mirror as I turned North for the Catskills and the Adirondacks. I met my Jersey Wreck Diver buddy Chris at Capitaland Scuba in Clifton Park (I left this little town just North of Albany in 1992 to move to Texas) to pick up some tanks and a dive flag.

By 1 PM we were checking into the Northern Lake George Resort – a rustic little lake shore motel, whose main redeeming feature is the only air compressor for 60 miles. Free fills are included with the room. After a quick lunch we were suited up and in the water by 3.

chris1.jpg

me3.jpg

The shore entry is literally 20 yards from the room, however, I was a little disappointed in the quality of the diving. 95% of the shoreline is privately owned so the shore diving is limited. The bad part - this particular stretch of shoreline is called “the football field” by the local divers – 20-30 ft deep and featureless sand bottom for as far as you can go. Visibility was only 20-30 feet – I was expecting better. Water temp is 70 at the surface and mid 60s at 25ft.

The good part – There is an old ferry pier that juts out from the motel. Three of the original piers, built in the early 1800’s are still there. These are massive interlocked timber and rock structures 10 yards on a side and 15 – 30 feet tall. We did two dives on the piers , each about an hour. The second dive – around dusk, had the added attraction of lots of interesting fish.

Chris’ drysuit sprung a leak on the first dive so he went wet on dive two while the Aquaseal repair hopefully took hold. After all the traveling, we called it an early night.

Tomorrow we head for what we’re told is one of the best shore dive sites, a NY state park called Rogers Rock. We’re hoping for 70 – 100 foot rock face wall dives in colder water with much better viz.

We’re keeping an eye out for Daisy – we figure after she left Alan and Frank in Belize, Lake George was the next place she would go … stay tuned for updates … and next week – the Long Island Sound.

I am impressed--WOW!!!!

I bet Daisy is on a bus headed NE right now. :eyebrow:

You have found a piece of true heaven my friend---have fun, be safe and stay wet!!!

:wink:

I have been meaning to get up to Lake George for a couple of years now but have never made it. I am interested in seeing how your next report pans out. Whereabouts are you diving in the Sound?

I have been meaning to get up to Lake George for a couple of years now but have never made it. I am interested in seeing how your next report pans out. Whereabouts are you diving in the Sound?

We're hoping it ges better today and Friday. The walls out at Roger's Rock are supposed to be great, and on Friday we're going to rent a boat to hit some of the island walls and a few of the wrecks. The Lake is a great dive - you just have to find the right places, and without a boat or a charter, its hard to do.

On Sunday Sept 23 and Monday Sept 24 I'll be diving off a beach immediatly east of the Soundview Inn in Greenport. Basically the shoreline is midpoint between Southold Town beach and Clarks (Secret) beach. My parents have a condo right on the water so its a real easy dive. I'm looking for company if you're interested. So far I'm solo, and mom gets worried.

Sounds like a great trip so far. I've been on one of the finger lakes (Whichever one Watkins Glann is on). It looked like it would be some really nice diving.

However, we need BO back in Texas. The weather was really nice all summer. He runs away and we get above normal temps for the first time all year.

Day 2 dive report: Rogers Rock State Park, Lake George West Shore, Hague NY.

Loaded the gear into the car and headed about 9 miles north of the motel to Rogers Rock State Park. The last time I was here, I was 9 years old. It hasn’t changed much. A very cute (we’re talking way beyond Daisy cute) gate attendant let us into the park for free to check it out before we decided to dive. The gate to the shoreline we wanted to access had been locked for the season, so we wanted to check it out before we committed to the dive.

We had almost managed to work Chris’s Escape around the gate, when the park ranger showed up. Instead of hauling our derrieres off to park jail, he unlocked the gate for us and wished us a good dive.

Rogers1.jpg

rogers2.jpg

The shoreline access conditions were near perfect, but alas, the diving was mediocre at best. Same stuff we saw yesterday only deeper. We managed to follow the sandy bottom down to about 70 feet. We hit the thermo cline we had come to Lake George to find at exactly 50’. Water temp took a 20 degree drop to 53 degrees. This is one of the things I came up here for. I’m happy to report, the Bare dry suit and undies work just fine. My buoyancy skills however need some work. I also learned that towing a dive flag, reading a compass and managing dry suit and BC air is hard. Towing a dive flag sucks especially.

We saw a few little rock falls, and circled a little island. Highlight of the dive was a massive (I’m talking hundreds) school of young stripped bass.

So far - Diving has been fun – it always is - just not as good as I had expected. The topside scenery is breathtaking – Lake George truly is the “Queen of American Lakes”, and the company is excellent.

The lesson from the last two days – Diving Lake George requires a boat. There’s not much to see from the land accessible shoreline. The shoreline with the steep cliffs and drop offs we had been hoping to find can only be reached by boat – which for the last two days we did not have.

Tomorrow we head down to the south end of the Lake to rent a boat and indulge in the other Lake George attraction – historical wrecks. We’re going to dive the “Forward” a ferry that burned and sank in 1910, and then the “Bateaux” a collection of wooden war boats sunk by the British in the mid 1700’s. If we have the time and the air, we’re going to try to hit the narrows section of the lake where there are some 100+ foot walls.

Now thats pretty looking water! Way Cool !
Ya'll have a "Real" good time :wink:

We're hoping it ges better today and Friday. The walls out at Roger's Rock are supposed to be great, and on Friday we're going to rent a boat to hit some of the island walls and a few of the wrecks. The Lake is a great dive - you just have to find the right places, and without a boat or a charter, its hard to do.

On Sunday Sept 23 and Monday Sept 24 I'll be diving off a beach immediatly east of the Soundview Inn in Greenport. Basically the shoreline is midpoint between Southold Town beach and Clarks (Secret) beach. My parents have a condo right on the water so its a real easy dive. I'm looking for company if you're interested. So far I'm solo, and mom gets worried.
I am diving down at Ponquogue Bridge on Sunday otherwise I would have joined you. We were cleaning Secret Beach on Saturday and were going to go for a dive but everyone bailed on me - waves crashing into the beach so I understand why they bailed. :)

Good follow up report - hope tomorrow is better.

I'm looking for company if you're interested. So far I'm solo, and mom gets worried.

No problem! I am there. Just let me tell my boss, pick up a drysuit, pack an overnight bag, hire a pilot, jump in the Lear. Tell your mom to set an extra plate at the dinner table.. :rofl3:

Looks really pretty there!

Melissa

Back
Top Bottom