Thorfinn - Chuuk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hal

Contributor
Reaction score
Any recent experiences with the Thorfinn? Particularly interested in: 1) safety of dive operation/equipment, 2) cleanliness, 3) other - internet, food, etc.

Thanks,

Hal

I cannot answer first hand but when I was shopping for my January 2013 trip to Truk Lagoon, I made enquiries about the Thorfinn. Almost to a man (and woman, for that matter), the UK agents gave me the impression that it was a very, very poor cousin of the Odyssey. I had thought that it was bit of a sales pitch but when I actually went to Truk and on the Odyssey, the Thorfinn, which we often passed, looked shabby by comparison. The locals do not regard that boat highly either.

Last edited:
The worst aspect of the Thorfinn is you make most, if not all, your dives off small boats. Transferring to and from the ship and small boats is much less convenient diving directly off the ship like the Odyssey.

"Camping at sea" comes to mind.

Thorfinn Cabin...
guest_room.jpg

Thorfinn dining area...
dining.jpg

Thorfinn Lounge...

main-lounge-thumbnail.jpg

Someone above mentioned the Odyssey... which will ruin you for any other liveaboard. (They also only have 16 passengers, to the Thorfin's 22.)

Odyssey cabins...

bild_192379.jpg

singleC.jpg

Odyssey Dining Salon:

dining2.jpg

bild_194127.jpg

Odyssey Lounge:
lounge.jpg

Thanks. RJP/Akimbo, either or both of you go on the Thorafinn? RJP, how recent are the pics?

Again, thx.

Thanks. RJP/Akimbo, either or both of you go on the Thorafinn? RJP, how recent are the pics?

Again, thx.

Those pics are from the two boats' websites.

I spent two weeks on the Odyssey, and the pics are an accurate reflection of the reality.

Though I've never been on the Thorfinn, as has been observed above, whenever we saw the Thorfinn it looked a bit shabby.

OK, thanks.

Others who have been on Thorfinn recently? Saw one post indicating that it had been refurbished early 2014. Particularly interested in hearing from anyone who has been on since then. Thanks!

Thanks. RJP/Akimbo, either or both of you go on the Thorafinn?...

I spoke with a couple of friends that had been on the Thorfinn before booking on the Odyssey earlier this year. As mentioned, both boats were often in sight of each other. The Thorfinn didn’t move very much since small boats ferried divers to near-by wrecks. The Odyssey has drilled-in sub-surface mooring buoys at every wreck they frequent.

[video=youtube;R_CGRwUVwN8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_CGRwUVwN8[/video]

The Thorfinn (1954) and the Odyssey (1978) are both pretty old hulls. They also see less time in the yard than most Caribbean boats because they are so far away. The Odyssey does a yard period in the Philippines every two years. Neither boat has a dock so they have to ferry guests and supplies by small boat from shore and run generators 24/7. Repair facilities in Chuuk are extremely limited.

The thing that sets the Odyssey apart from the great majority of liveaboards is their attitude toward guests, not the facilities. They assume that you are an intelligent and capable diver and treat you accordingly unless you prove otherwise. The vast majority of other liveaboards tend to treat you like a recent OW graduate from a resort course and don’t let up all that much even after you prove otherwise. I can’t say how the Thorfinn treats divers but the Odyssey is famous for their enlightened attitude.

Thanks but, Akimbo, this sounds like a paid Odyssey advertisement.

In hunting around, seems that most of the posts about the Thorfinn are from people who have never been on it. Really would love to hear about Thorfinn from people who have been on it! Anyone?!?

Back
Top Bottom