One step at a time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nikkey

Reaction score
I was wondering how long a new scuba diver should wait before trying to take pictures, any advice? Thanx!

Great to hear that you are thinking of adding a camera!

A good rule of thumb is to be a diver first, then add a camera. This essentially means having complete control of your buoyancy, your breathing and your buddy skills.

I think many beginning divers are fine if they carry a camera for those buddy shots etc or to hand it to the guide/another diver for snaps of themselves. It's when a diver starts to concentrate on taking photos that I see things getting more difficult very quickly. So some of it depends on what type of photos you want to take to start.

Adding a camera does all sorts of crazy things: it increases the amount of air you use, it task loads your brain, it takes your concentration away from the way you learned to dive and from developing solid dive skills, it changes the physical way you dive - slower, different body positions & more, and it changes your balance/trim in some instances. It also can make you more aware of your surroundings, more observant of the creatures and behaviours that are happening while you dive and can improve your dive skills!

I can't imagine not having a camera with me when I dive - whether I take lots of photos or not. I have no problem diving with inexperienced divers who also have cameras - as long as those inexperienced divers are still concentrating on their own dive skills FIRST and photos second.

Exactly, alcina....I agree 100 %.

Nikkey:
I was wondering how long a new scuba diver should wait before trying to take pictures, any advice? Thanx!

Honestly, it's so much fun, start shooting with a simple camera as soon as you have good buoyancy control and maybe 20 dives. Try a PADI Underwater Photography Specialty course and go from there. Just remember to be safe, watch your air and your computer often, and make sure your buddy is watching you too. Dive safety comes first, but if you remember that, and plan to shoot just a few photos in your first dives, you should do fine. I would not suggest getting a complicated camera at first, just rent a Sea&Sea MotorMarine or such. See how you like it, then follow up if it seems fun for you.

I started shooting while snorkling in Kona, must have shot 20 of those throwaway cameras with my kids, had a ball. So, when I started scuba diving, I used the Sea&Sea. It was simple to operate, so I could focus on diving. Then, I felt I needed better quality, and had an old Olympus digital, so I bought a housing for that. Now photography is a big part of my diving, and I am gear crazy. But everyone is different, you may not like it, so rent something and try it out.

Even though the attached photo of a seahorse is out of focus, it brings back fond memories of the trip and the dive. Guess I have to go back!!

I purchased a Reefmaster digital after my 10th ocean dive because I kept seeing all this great stuff that's impossible to describe to my landlocked co-workers and found to my surprise that my air consumption actually got better. Up to this point I had pretty much been an air sucking dog. It also seems to help me enjoy the dive more. I definitely see more.

The best advice I can offer is don't do anything you are not comfortable with, you have to know yourself and be honest about your abilities.

I have a degree in Art with an emphasis in Photography, and have spent the last 27 years with a camera somewhere about me , so I'm lucky in the respect that the camera requires very little concentration on my part. It's more like the part of me that was missing underwater is now complete and I can just relax and dive.

I just wish I had started diving 27 years ago.
So much time wasted!

Alcina is 100% right. Just get out there and dive and get your basic skills down. Once you can effectively manage yourself and others then you are ready to start adding new tasks. Trust me it won't take long if you actively dive and work on perfecting the skills you've already been taught. This is something most new divers fail to do and it shows when they try to continue their diving education.

As for the PADI underwater camera specialty course, well that will be about as useful as their drysuit course. Get comfortable with yourself in the water and practice practice practice. Most of PADI's specialty courses are designed to further their other well known acronym of Put Another Dollar In. No one will ever ask you for your PADI underwater camrea course card or drysuit card before you go diving.

clarktenk:
As for the PADI underwater camera specialty course, well that will be about as useful as their drysuit course. Get comfortable with yourself in the water and practice practice practice. Most of PADI's specialty courses are designed to further their other well known acronym of Put Another Dollar In. No one will ever ask you for your PADI underwater camrea course card or drysuit card before you go diving.

LOL - a bit harsh :wink: If it's badly taught any course can be worthless.

When an Underwater Photography Course is well done with an instructor who is knowledgeable and who takes the time to really work with the individual, it's great - PADI, NAUI, SSI, an individual's (think Cathy Church etc) or whatever agency. As with all courses, it's likely the instructor that is essential :)

BUT - this thread isn't about courses really :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom