How do I know when I'm ready to start UW photography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

indigo_dc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Tried looking for this in the (very useful) tips sticky but couldn't see anything - is there a rule of thumb or way of assessing myself so I know when I have the core dive skills down well enough to consider taking a camera down there?

I'm a keen topside photographer and confident I can handle the technical PHOTOGRAPHY requirements, but with only 7 dives under my belt I wasn't sure if it was too soon to try it out?

I realise without seeing me underwater it's probably impossible to say for definite, but it's more anecdotal/guideline advice I'm more interested in. Basically I have a two week diving holiday in Grand Cayman coming up and want to know if it's worth me getting the camera gear now or not!

Well, I took my first camera down on my first "Discovery" dive two years ago to rattle off some snapshots and video, then I did my OW course last year and on the first dive after that, i.e. my sixth logged dive, I started shooting with a Canon S95 and got these. All were taken on my 6th to 10th dives with only the internal strobe or natural light.

Malaysia 2011

This year I bought myself an Inon S2000 to add to my kit.

I know there are other's who will state you need x number of minimum dives but as long as you use your head and not get too distracted by the camera, then there shouldn't be any issues.

In fact, I would say that using the camera has assisted my buoyancy skills very quickly, much quicker than without it as it gives me more of a challenge.

Sorry to add a little info, re-reading I was rather vague. I did find a PDF guide here that had the following questions I ought to ask myself -

Before buying an underwater camera you should first ask yourself if you are you ready for the
additional task loading of one rather than how much fun you can have with it. Here are just a few
questions for you to answer:

- Have you mastered your buoyancy skills so as not to be kicking or lying on the coral or other marine life while taking a photo?

Yes, I think so - what kind of impact will it have on my buoyancy? I assume I'll need to get weights for my housing to make the setup neutrally buoyant or would the housing buoyancy be negligible?

- Can you handle yourself in strong current and other adverse diving conditions with the addition of camera gear?

I don't know, I have some experience of strong current but not a lot. The sites I'm planning to use it in are rated as not having strong currents acccording to numerous reviews.

- Can you operate an underwater camera with numerous functions and still pay attention to your safety as well as that of your dive buddy?

I guess this forms the crux of my question :) While I'm anal about my own safety and my buddy, I guess I'm trying to weigh the extra "burden" of using the camera vs. the normal act of diving.

I'm thinking that shared accounts of people's first experiences with UW photography will let me compare my own situation with theirs and make the assessment of whether or not I'm ready?

The answer to most if not all your questions can only be answer by you.
I've been diving for many years and to this day I only take my camera on dives that I am familiar with and feel comfortable with the additional task loading.
It is a go/no go decission that you will learn to make on your own based on your personal experiences.

There are a few times where I got in over my head because of the bulk of the camera and made the decission to abort the dive or at least to stop filming and concentrate on the diving.
Taking pictures or video underwater is just like talking on a cellphone, your attention is now divided and no longer at 100%.
I did a shark dive in the Bahamas where I was so busy filming that I didn't realize I was the only diver still in the water towards the end of the dive, it was only after pulling my face away from the camera that I realized all the sharks were staring at me and licking their chops (or so it seemed as the only diver in the water).

Many divers think they have their buoyancy down when in reality they don't. IMO before grabbing a camera it should be completely instinctive, if you have to think about it at all, you are not ready. Here is a test that I suggest to determine if you are ready to take a camera.

Do this in a pool or other easy dive spot that is too deep to stand in and has a bottom that you will not stir up.

Get horizonal and pick a small spot, nail or pretty much anything you can't hurt on a wall, post or any other solid structure. The spot should be in mid water column. Now hold both your hands out in frount of you with your fingers in a box shape, the classis movie director framing the shot pose, this is your view finder. Now swim up to the object keeping it "in frame", get within 3 inches of the object, hold that position for at least 15 seconds (you would be focusing and framing a shot in the real world) then back (yes back) away from your target, turn and swim away. When you can do that without using your hands for control and don't lose your buoyancy (sink to the bottom or rise up) you are ready to pick up a camera. This level of control is not going to come in just a few dives, it will take a long time in the water before most divers (and many never do) reach that level of control.

The biggest challenges are buoyancy and task loading. We have lost at least three divers in our area in the last year who ran out of air on a dive and didn't know it until it was too late. AFAK they weren't carrying cameras, they just failed to check their gauges with adequate frequency. Taking pictures while diving will 1)take your mind off of your diving and 2)increase your air consumption while trying to maintain buoyancy and position while taking a picture. It will 3)take your attention away from your dive buddy and 4)cause you to lose track of your navigation. When all these things are second nature to you, and you can consistently keep track of your buddy, find your way back to the boat or shore with adequate air, recognize when you need to prepare to ascend or find your way back to the anchor AND be comfortable enough with carrying and stowing the camera to be able to perform emergency procedures in a timely manner while doing so, you are ready to carry a camera on a dive.

Others have covered it well. Excellent buoyancy control is key. Be able to hover, change depth by just using lungs. Know how to back kick, frog kick and flat spin all without using hands, in the position mentioned by herman. Some other things to consider, guidelines many diving photogs try to follow

1. Do not manipulate living subjects to capture a “better” image.
2. Do not manipulate the environment in which the subjects live.
3. Let professional dive guides know that you appreciate them finding subjects, but do not expect them to manipulate them.
4. Place no more than one finger on a dead part of the reef.
5. Be aware of the configuration of your imaging equipment as you move closer to your subject or reef to avoid contact.
6. Try to avoid laying or kneeling on the bottom. Tiny, delicate creatures often live in these areas.
7. If you find a subject, it is “yours” to capture images of as long as you like. Point it out to others when you are done.
8. If another photographer/diver finds a subject you are interested in, do not “rush” them. Stay out of the frame. Wait until they are done with the subject or invite you to take over.
9. If the guide finds the subject, prepare your camera prior to moving in to take an image. Take a few images in quick order. Leave the scene without disturbing the subject or environment, so others can enjoy it. If you want to try again, get in the back of the line, if others are waiting.
10. Respect other people’s equipment. Try not to put your rig on top of others in the rinse tank. Remove your gear as soon as possible. Be aware of housings that are open and don’t drip on them.

Dive gear should be set up so you can work everything with one hand, since your camera will mostly likely always be in the other hand. Rig some type of lanyard in case you do have to release the camera underwater. Suggest camera rig be slightly negative in buoyancy.
At some point you WILL be a solo diver, so build your skill set to be comfortable with that. Serious photographers usually don't make the greatest buddies :D

It is possible to take a camera underwater and take pictures with it very early in a diver's career. In generally, they won't be very GOOD pictures, because the diver isn't capable of the stability that's required to get really good photographs. The only way to get that stable is to sit or lie on the reef . . . which all too many divers end up doing. In addition, as has already been mentioned, a camera seriously interferes with your situational awareness and eats bandwidth . . . and many new divers are pretty challenged by keeping track of their depth, time and gas, and their buddy, and where the dive guide is.

I don't think there is anything wrong with carrying a small, inexpensive point and shoot camera, and using it if you're feeling very confident and good and the dive conditions are favorable. But if you are an avid land photographer, you won't be very happy with the pictures you get that way, except as methods of recording marine life for later ID. To get pictures you'll be proud of, you need much more highly developed diving skills and better (more expensive) equipment.

I started taking photographs when I'd been diving about six years, and had a lot of experience and training. I was amazed at how much trying to get just the right picture interfered with my ability to do everything to the standard I was used to holding myself to . . . it took a while to get it all back, and I still use more gas when I'm taking pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom