Geocaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmunch

Registered
Reaction score
Some of you (divers) may also have gotten involved in the sport of "Geocaching", a free treasure hunt based on the internet and on GPS technology.

You may be interested to note that Geocaches can also be underwater, accessable only by SCUBA divers.

For instance, I have placed a cache in Monterey, CA, near the breakwater. If you are interested and a Geocacher, look up GCT98H. If you are interested and not a Geocacher, its free and a lot of fun. Visit http://www.geocaching.com to get started.

So...what's in it? ...you could pm me and give a hint.

Geocaches are about finding them. What is in it is a log you can sign and a pencil to sign it with. We haven't put "treasures" in it for fear of littering the waterscape.

The real fun of Geocaching is finding the cache and logging it.

oh, maybe I found one on a hike the other week. It was this weird little log book with names signed. at the top of Hawaii Loa Ridge. I was hoping for Tahitian pearls..

We geocache around our area... plan on going to Cozumel in July, apparently there is a few geocaches around there. :D

Last time we searched for a geocache, 94gtstang got some poison ivy.. ha ha ha.

cyclical:
We geocache around our area... plan on going to Cozumel in July, apparently there is a few geocaches around there. :D

Last time we searched for a geocache, 94gtstang got some poison ivy.. ha ha ha.
man... that wasn't even funny. Luckilly I caught it in time before it got too bad.

But geocaching is pretty fun. I think there are 4 in Cozumel. Two at Coconuts I believe....

I have dabbled in it a little in SoCal, (found 3), I am planning a few Scuba Caches. I'll post when I have them complete and placed. It's fun, nothing like a treasure hunt!

Arrrrgh! :wink:

Well now I'm curious. When I got into 'caching I thought about underwater caches, but a GPS won't work underwater (will it?) so how do you find the cache? Mark a waypoint on the surface and dive down after it? I love the idea for sure!

I can just see people camoflaging caches underwater how they do with some of them topside though, it'd take me forty tanks to find some of those things people disguise them in!

Based on this thread, I read geocache.com. Since I've got a handheld gps on the boat, my kid and I tried it this weekend. It was a lot of fun and could be habit forming ... especially if done underwater. (I'd expect the lat/lon to be a location on the beachh with navigational directions from there.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom