Need a Diver near Pittsburgh (Blanchard) PA to solve a mystery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rgecy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a friend in Blanchard PA, just outside Pittsburgh, who needs someone to check out a car he found using his Humminbird Side Imaging Sonar. The local police told him it was a concrete pier, but he put a drop camera on it and verified it is indeed a vehicle. They are still not interested in diving for some reason.

The car is near the end of a landing in about 35' of water. No telling what the story is behind it! It could have been stolen or even a missing person, still inside!

I think it is absolutely sad that the local authorities are not willing to get involved.

He does not dive and needs someone adventurous to help him out and possibly solve a mystery. I would do it myself but I live in SC!

Here is a link with some Side scan Images of the car. Side Scan Pictures of Car near Blanchard, PA

I hope we can find someone willing to check it out.

Robert

Last edited:
I have a friend in Blanchard PA, just outside Pittsburgh, who needs someone to check out a car he found using his Humminbird Side Imaging Sonar. The local police told him it was a concrete pier, but he put a drop camera on it and verified it is indeed a vehicle. They are still not interested in diving for some reason.

The car is near the end of a landing in about 35' of water. No telling what the story is behind it! It could have been stolen or even a missing person, still inside!

I think it is absolutely sad that the local authorities are not willing to get involved.

He does not dive and needs someone adventurous to help him out and possibly solve a mystery. I would do it myself but I live in SC!

Here is a link with some Side scan Images of the car. Side Scan Pictures of Car near Blanchard, PA

I hope we can find someone willing to check it out.

Robert

Sounds interesting. Can you provide more details in case someone is interested? Is this a river? Lake? Viz, etc?

If I was in the area I give it a look. Always up for a interesting dive.

What's the bottom composition like. Looks partially buried. If the widows are opened it coud be fulled with crap. Still a quick look would be fun.

I will refer everyone to Charlie. He is the one who lives there and was looking for a diver.

It's in a lake and this vis is probably less than 6'. I think the car has been down there for quite a while. The windows (what he could see on the camera) appeard to be up, so whatever's inside, is probably still in there.

The wheels may have settled in the bottom, but the car is sitting up nicely.

Charlies email is cbgeorge2000 (at) yahoo.com

Thanks for the help guys,

RGecy

I will refer everyone to Charlie. He is the one who lives there and was looking for a diver.

It's in a lake and this vis is probably less than 6'. I think the car has been down there for quite a while. The windows (what he could see on the camera) appeard to be up, so whatever's inside, is probably still in there.

The wheels may have settled in the bottom, but the car is sitting up nicely.

Charlies email is cbgeorge2000 (at) yahoo.com

Thanks for the help guys,

RGecy

It would probably be helpful to encourage him to join the board. There is no rule that says you have to be a diver to post here and participation in the thread will help keep it active and increase the odds that someone in his area will see it.

Additionally, any information he can provide may be more helpful in a group discussion rather than a one on one email.

I live in Blanchard Pa, there is 2 Blanchards in Pa, one near Pittsburgh, and in Centre countay near State College, the zip is 16826

Looks interesting. From the photos it is obiviously a car. Do you have any PSD teams in your area that would be interested in diving it even for training? Do you have a tow company that would be interested in pulling it out without. Then you really get to see what it is.

Hi just curious but have you found anyone to dive on this for you yet? is this in a lake if so how big is the lake how would you get a diver out i am assuming you have a boat since your doing side scan imaging it actually sounds like fun although it is getting a bit cold now so the temperature may hinder any but the bold or Drysuit enabled at this point:))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom