Shark Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't worry too much when out in the open ocean, next to your boat. I would recommend a mask and snorkel while in the water. So you have a clear view of whats under you. Two kinds of surface attacks on swimmers exsist. One is a suprise ambush attack, where you will have never seen the shark coming. The second is a bump. Where you will have seen the shark well in advance and it's coming in to inspect you. Swimming at the surface is to all pelagic sharks a possible meal. But it is all dependant on where you are swimming. In the open ocean next to your boat, you should be ok. Next to a seal colony, your asking for trouble. Reef sharks, can be aggressive with surface swimmers, it is a possible meal, and they have a pack mentality, eat as fast as possible before they lose a meal to their friends. So bumping always comes first to see if it's dead or dying, or worht eating. Diving at depth with these sharks is ok, I have never had any problems with them. But snorkling has always been an activity I have tried to stay away from. The intensity level in a shark dive rises. Always keep in mind, when in the ocean, you are a visitor in a strange world and the locals make all the rules.

Cheers,

Eli
Publisher
Shark Diver Magazine
www.sharkdivermag.com

lrh626:
According to the Discovery channel, getting attacked by a shark is about the same as been struck by lightning.

Do you mean the *chances* are just about the same, or that it's pretty much the same experience (i.e., just as much fun)?

I used to windsurf off the coast of Western Australia with a sinker board (only floats when planing). The only way to get on was to lay in the water, hold the sail up into the wind and kick like hell before being pulled up by the sail. I used to get this image of what my waggling legs looked like from below and it would scare the sh*& out of me. Great motivation for improved gybes.

This may have the same odds as lightning but I actually had one experience of a fin following me while windsurfing there - not pleasant.

CapnRandy:
I have a question. I was wondering what are the ACTUAL dangers regarding sharks if I were on a boat well offshore and wanted to take a swim? I have never done it because I figured the odds were that if there were one hungry shark in the ocean, he would be right under my boat. Comments!

From what i have heard, swimming creates vibrations in the water not unlike that of a fish in distress, it can also sound like a bait ball being torn up by feeding fish, all this stuff reminds sharks of an easy meal

CapnRandy:
I have a question. I was wondering what are the ACTUAL dangers regarding sharks if I were on a boat well offshore and wanted to take a swim? I have never done it because I figured the odds were that if there were one hungry shark in the ocean, he would be right under my boat. Comments!

I recall seeing a cartoon once where a guy fishing in the ocean takes a pee off his boat and a big white shark suddenly emerges next to the boat diminishing him :wink:

Anyway, most of the time divers I know are looking for sharks, not trying to avoid them :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom