Shark Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

--In reality, in the 20 years that I have been diving, I have even SEEN a shark maybe only 10 times. Of those, most were non-threatening species such as Nurse or Caribbean Reef sharks in the warm waters of the Carribean Sea. On two occasions I encountered the more aggressive Bull shark. The first, the shark immediate fled the scene - the second (yesterday) the 10-12 footer attacked.

In short, I say you are relatively safe in the water. However, it is prudent to know what species typically live beneath you and I would wear a mask to monitor my uw surroundings. I have learned recently - through experience - that (with the exception of GW's) sharks work-up to an attack by circling their prey and looking for their best opportunity. If you see a shark that isn't fleeing from your presence - get out of the water.

Lastly, take solace in the fact that most shark attacks on humans occur in 3 feet of water at the beach. (of course that is only because that's where humans have the most exposure!)

CapnRandy:
I have a question. I was wondering what are the ACTUAL dangers regarding sharks if I were on a boat well offshore and wanted to take a swim? I have never done it because I figured the odds were that if there were one hungry shark in the ocean, he would be right under my boat. Comments!

Water-Breather:
--In reality, in the 20 years that I have been diving, I have even SEEN a shark maybe only 10 times. Of those, most were non-threatening species such as Nurse or Caribbean Reef sharks in the warm waters of the Carribean Sea. On two occasions I encountered the more aggressive Bull shark. The first, the shark immediate fled the scene - the second (yesterday) the 10-12 footer attacked.

In short, I say you are relatively safe in the water. However, it is prudent to know what species typically live beneath you and I would wear a mask to monitor my uw surroundings. I have learned recently - through experience - that (with the exception of GW's) sharks work-up to an attack by circling their prey and looking for their best opportunity. If you see a shark that isn't fleeing from your presence - get out of the water.

Lastly, take solace in the fact that most shark attacks on humans occur in 3 feet of water at the beach. (of course that is only because that's where humans have the most exposure!)

Dear Water-Breather-In regards to reality,the world is as we are....My experience is different over the last 30 years. I've probably seen over 20,000 sharks-it depends on where you're diving. I agree about wearing the mask as I think I already posted, so you won't be suprised. You're right that some sharks circle,but often the ones that are large,most aggressive and pelagic (likely to be found under your boat in open water)-Oceanic Whitetips,Tigers,Makos,Blues,and Whalers(not to mention Great Whites) may swim straight up to you. And lastly,most shark attacks do not take place in 3 feet of water (though many do)-the water is deeper-surfers and swimmers and spearfishers combined usually make up the largest per centage of most shark attack victims. I love sharks and spend time studying them when ever I can. They have historically followed boats as do other schooling fish. I jump overboard all the time when sailing and diving to cool off, but I always keep my eyes peeled. I have been in the water with an Oceanic White-tip unexpectedly, and that was no fun-I'm just glad I spotted him :wink: when I did and was close to the boat....Peace...Saildiver.

Water-Breather:
That is Funny! (and so true!) yesterday my buddy & I were spearfishing in the GoM when we were confronted by a 10-12' Bull. Within 30 seconds there were two. Within 45 seconds, my butt was back on the boat!
That was smart Water-Breather-Where exactly were you? At least you didn't try "the-old-stab-the-shark-in-the-eye-trick" :wink: ....Peace...Saildivers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom