Shark Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stirling:
Do you mean the *chances* are just about the same, or that it's pretty much the same experience (i.e., just as much fun)?

I would guess he's pointing out the flaw in the statistics. IE as long as you stay on dryland the chances of getting struck by lightning are significantly higher than those of being bitten by a shark....

Ok, if any of you have ever been struck by lightning, I recommend staying out of the water.

Anyone that's been bitten by a shark ... watch the skies.

The rest of us will be looking for sharks. :)

I agree mostly with SharkDiveMag's response, however, in the case of pelagic fishes/predators they are attracted by most any vibrations, noises, odors, etc... at least for an inspection. I would argue that the likelihood of running into a shark during a brief open ocean swim is slim, if you continue to swim for more than a few minutes you might attract some unwanted attention. Bear in mind also that schooling fishes (aka prey) will enjoy the temporary camoflauge that the hull of your boat provides.

See you underwater...

zboss:
you have a dive knife... in a wrestle to the death with a great monster of the sea it always helps to have an advantage. I suggest going for the eyes - it's worked the majority of the time (maybe 97 out of 100 ) I have had to defend myself.

I am intrigued..... how many times have you had to defend yourself and how? Whatever it is must have worked cause you are still here.........

lissette:
zboss:
you have a dive knife... in a wrestle to the death with a great monster of the sea it always helps to have an advantage. I suggest going for the eyes - it's worked the majority of the time (maybe 97 out of 100 ) I have had to defend myself.
I am intrigued..... how many times have you had to defend yourself and how? Whatever it is must have worked cause you are still here.........

The way I read it, he was attacked 100 times and had to use his knife each time. It worked 97 times, so I'm assuming the other 3 times he just swam faster than his buddy.

zboss:
Although my wife and I dive from our sailboat and jump in for brief swims everydaywe are cruising,I actually prefer to take my goggles or mask with me-just in case-and there's no real good reason to be swimming far from your boat in the open ocean anyway-I'd stay close by (swim circles around your boat). As someone who has studied sharks for most of my life in one way or another,and spent over 4000 dives being with them as much as possible-I actually believe sharks do tend to follow boats to an extent-maybe they've learned this over the years that humans have sailed the seas that, sooner or later, someone is going to throw some fish remnants, food,excrement,garbage,dead bodies,or accidentally fall or even"swim" overboard-and become a meal for them. Read the stories of others adrift in lifeboats,rafts ect, and you will see how they are often followed by sharks....much like the sharks often follow schools of dolphins or whales.They are much like a large vulture, which is constantly on the lookout for food- preferably for some creature weakened or dying or dead....although, they will often turn and run if they see something as big as a human in the water splashing around. Except,that is, for a few species, which can be more aggressive at times, ie; Grey Reefs,Reef White-tips,Hammerheads. And then the more aggressive sharks- those that I don't mind diving with(with an eye on them),but I don't like swimming with unless I can see them really well with goggles or mask,close to the boat- the Tigers,Silvertips,Bronze Whalers,Oceanic White-tips,Makos and Bulls.And finally,there are Great Whites-which, IMHO are still best seen on National Geographic. I would be extremely cautious even diving where GWs hang-out (fortunately I prefer diving in water warmer than 78 degrees F which is usally not in GW territory)-local knowledge is important.Anyway-I think your initial impression is probably overly cautious,yet play it smart and don't take unneccessary chances...one thing you do have going for you is the depleted population of sharks from finning and over fishing....but that is our loss...Peace...Saildiver

MoonWrasse:
I recall seeing a cartoon once where a guy fishing in the ocean takes a pee off his boat and a big white shark suddenly emerges next to the boat diminishing him :wink:

Anyway, most of the time divers I know are looking for sharks, not trying to avoid them :)
Peeing in the water is like chumming the water for sharks-pee after you swim...Peace...Saildiver.

zboss:
Zboss-Although I've had to nudge the nose of a couple of sharks to divert thier direction,and I'd read about a few shark attack victims trying to poke the shark in the eyes after they were bitten-and I always thought that I'd probably try that too as a last resort if I suddenly found myself in the jaws of a large shark-so as I've re-read of your many "wrestles to the death" with the "great monster of the sea",several questions came to mind......1) What all species of shark have you wrestled with and which ones were the most common that you had to defend yourself against? 2) So that we may learn from your experiences,what parts of the globe did these experiences occur with each species? 3) What did you have to do in the 3/100 times that "going for the eyes" didn't work to save yourself? 4) Which of the shark species would you say gave you the most trouble,that is,was your most difficult opponent? 5) Is there any reason that you can discover that you've had to do this so often,ie,are you running a shark feeding operation,a cameraman during feeding frenzies, or somthing like that? 6) Do you actually have to stab them in the eye,or can you just stab them fairly close to the eye,or will stabbing them any where else work? 7) You must have some amazing stories to tell-please tell us more. I'm just glad you survived to live and tell the "rest of the story"...Peace.....Saildiver.

saildiver:
Zboss-Although I've had to nudge the nose of a couple of sharks to divert thier direction,and I'd read about a few shark attack victims trying to poke the shark in the eyes after they were bitten-and I always thought that I'd probably try that too as a last resort if I suddenly found myself in the jaws of a large shark-so as I've re-read of your many "wrestles to the death" with the "great monster of the sea",several questions came to mind......1) What all species of shark have you wrestled with and which ones were the most common that you had to defend yourself against? 2) So that we may learn from your experiences,what parts of the globe did these experiences occur with each species? 3) What did you have to do in the 3/100 times that "going for the eyes" didn't work to save yourself? 4) Which of the shark species would you say gave you the most trouble,that is,was your most difficult opponent? 5) Is there any reason that you can discover that you've had to do this so often,ie,are you running a shark feeding operation,a cameraman during feeding frenzies, or somthing like that? 6) Do you actually have to stab them in the eye,or can you just stab them fairly close to the eye,or will stabbing them any where else work? 7) You must have some amazing stories to tell-please tell us more. I'm just glad you survived to live and tell the "rest of the story"...Peace.....Saildiver.

Uhh...guys? (And zboss, feel free to correct me if I am wrong)......I think he was JOKING here....

Sorry, but I always believe in offering assistance to the humor challenged.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom