Help me understand this...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another angle to this thread is that by assisting the instructor with classes, the instructor is able to "spead" himself thinner. He has another pair of eyes to watch beginner divers.

Yes, the instructor will still have to have his ratios built around the class based on the DM candidate NOT being in the numbers (while he/she's a candidate) but it's still an extra pair of EXPERIENCED eyes to assist if there arose an emergency.

Do you expect boat fees to be included in tuition? Why would pool fees be any different (unless the pool is owned by the shop and they can just waive the fees)?

Perhaps not the greatest arrangement - can you negotiate those to be included (especially if other students have it included) Maybe another instructor???

Good luck,

Paul

when i did my DM training, i never paid for pool or OW classes. the only time i paid anything extra was when i was asked if i wanted to go to Bimini to help with a class and even then i didnt pay full price. if they didnt tell you when you first signed up and paid for your DM training that you would have to pay for the pool each time, i would let them know you dont think you should have to, if not... what are they going to add on later, maybe having to pay for your instructors lunch?

steve

Although you are helping with the program you are still not a certified assistant, IE you are a student and the instructor must still supervise you. You should be required to pay pool fee, boat fees, any other fee associated with conducting the program. When you become a certified DM this will probably change but the reality is you are the student for now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom