Dive boat security

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heffey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am curious how safe a diver’s personal belongings and equipment are while the diver is in the water.
Are there any safeguards you use or do you feel this is a non issue?
I have never been on a dive boat so I really don’t know what to expect.
Now, before you start, I’m not going to buy any scuba police answers.

Heffey:
I am curious how safe a diver’s personal belongings and equipment are while the diver is in the water.
Are there any safeguards you use or do you feel this is a non issue?
I have never been on a dive boat so I really don’t know what to expect.
Now, before you start, I’m not going to buy any scuba police answers.
I keep a pelican case with a combination lock that I use to secure wallet and any other valuables and put it into my gear bag when I am diving. I have never been ripped off. I lose more gear by not writing my name on equipment than by anyone ever swiping it.-Jim

You can get a locking bag or case, but if you're worried about valuables then you may want to leave any unnecessary items in your car or at home...
Keys, c-card, $$ (for tipping the crew) should be all you really need to bring with you- leave your wallet in the trunk of your car..
As far as leaving gear on the boat, make sure you label everything really well and I don't think it'll be a problem..
Mixing up gear is the biggest problem people have on boats....

It's a complete non-issue. I've never heard of anything getting taken in 15 years of boat diving.

Other people walking off with unmarked gear does happen though especially when it's similar stuff. There was a thread here recently about two photographers with the same camera/housing that were switched in the rinse tank.

Who's going to tamper with your stuff? the captain? Everybody else is in the water. The expensive stuff is probably on you. If not, you're got too much gear on the boat.

I carry my c-card, credit card, drivers license, car key, and tip money in a waterproof case on a lanyard around my neck, my other stuff stays at the hotel -probably a better chance of it getting stolen there. And I wear cheap sunglasses so when they go overboard, or get smashed by a tank, it's not a huge loss.

If you did notice something missing on the ride in, guess who all the suspects are?

There actually are "scuba police" on Bonaire. They're Marine Park Rangers. Our boat was stopped once to check that everybody had park tags. And no fish...

btw, I don't know about Oahu, but on Maui they warn not to leave valuables in the car unattended.

sjspeck:
btw, I don't know about Oahu, but on Maui they warn not to leave valuables in the car unattended.

It's more of an issue on Oahu than Maui, because there are more people there. It's also more of an issue if you are in a rental car (sad, but true) as theives "assume" a tourist will have a wallet, camera or other goodies in their car. It also depends on where you are. If I'm parking my truck (old beat up 4x4) in a tourist frequented area I'll lock everything up, otherwise I just leave it all unlocked and have not had any gear pilfered yet. Then again I like to live in a way that assumes everyone else is as trustworthy as I am around strangers belongings (I know it's not true, I just like living that way - it makes life more enjoyable and relaxing for me...)

On boats, the few times that I've been onboard, I put my few valuables like wallet, in the bottom of my gear bag so someone has to dig through my clothes etc.. to get to it...

Aloha, Tim

Your stuff is ok on dive boats, but pack as lightly as you can. There's lots of confusion sometimes, and lots of wet stuff. I've seen people bring all sorts of junk with them on a boat. It just gets in the way and usually winds up wetter than they would have liked.
On land is a whole 'nother story, but you'll be ok on the boat.

sjspeck:
Who's going to tamper with your stuff? the captain? Everybody else is in the water.
I wouldn’t be concerned about the crew. I guess I had never thought about everyone else also being in the water. Makes sense.

sjspeck:
btw, I don't know about Oahu, but on Maui they warn not to leave valuables in the car unattended
I have read a few warnings here on the ScubaBoard about Electric Beach in Oahu. Oahu in general is quite bad for vehicle break-ins. There is one trailhead in particular where it is recommended that you leave your car doors unlocked to avoid having to replace a window when you return from your hike.

the only dive boats that i have been on are liveaboards other than friends boats which we all know each other there but on the liveaboards i have never heard of anything stolen. i have left everything on my bunk including my wallet in the open and never had a problem.

Steve

Heffey:
I wouldn’t be concerned about the crew. I guess I had never thought about everyone else also being in the water. Makes sense.

I have read a few warnings here on the ScubaBoard about Electric Beach in Oahu. Oahu in general is quite bad for vehicle break-ins. There is one trailhead in particular where it is recommended that you leave your car doors unlocked to avoid having to replace a window when you return from your hike.

When I grew up on Oahu that was our policy at most beaches up the waianae coast

There has always been at least one scuba cop on every dive I have been on.

Back
Top Bottom